Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving for the lake on Wednesday and I went to adjust my drum brakes (that I just changed the linings on last year). Shoes are shot.. down to backing plate. Turns out the surge brake deal in the tongue is applying too much brake pressure. I think the spring and/or the little shock absorber in there is screwed up. Anyway, got a new one of those, new drums, brake cylinders, bearings, seals, shoes, and springs.

Two questions.

1) The spring kit I got has three different pairs of springs. One is to hold the shoes together down by the adjuster and the other two pairs (at the top) pull the shoes back in after you step on the brakes. One of these pairs of spring is stiffer than the others. Which get used where? The cylinder that I have only has one piston if that matters. Also the springs pairs are color coded yellow and blue.

2) On the shoes, one of each pair has more pad than the other. The actual shoes are the same size but the pad material on one is about 1 inch shorter than the other at the top by the cylinder. Does that go towards the back or the front?

I know the normal answers to these questions would be to look at what is on there right now but the shoes I took off have the same amount of material on each shoe (or at least did when they were new) and the springs on the old ones were the same for the front and the back shoe.

Anyway, I need to get this fixed tomorrow so if you can help, please do. If it would be easier to chat, shoot me a PM and I will send you my phone number. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I have been doing a frantic search for the last hour and found out a few things:

1) I do not have the "free backing" type drum setup. I have a standard setup that looks like the one attached.

2) It looks like the shoe with the shorter liner goes on the same side as the piston (which is the front).

3) Still not sure about the different springs but I think I am going to put the stiffer ones on the front since that is the one that wore out the fastest last time.

4) The Anchor in the valley is a fockin ripoff and everyone that works there except for Jamie are complete fuggin morons. But they do have a lot of shit.

5) I got some fancy marine grease that was $17/tube. Thought is was a joke but the stuff is super tacky, does not mix with water, is a bitch to clean up, and seems like it may be one of those things that is worth spending a few extra bucks on.

6) Next time, I am going to get the whole "backing plate assembly" with the backing plate, shoes, springs, cylinder. Proably go for the free backing type so I dont have to hop out of the truck to put the pins in.

7) I wish I was a baller and didnt have to do this crap myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Trailer brake laws......

I was quite surprised to find out that most of our smaller boat trailers are suppose to have brakes!!! A larger cruiser is a no brainer, but even the small jets and flatbottoms are required to have trailer brakes at a certain GVW....And from what I remember, that law covers just about every inboard type boat...Just FYI.........Ray

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks. I have been doing a frantic search for the last hour and found out a few things:

4) The Anchor in the valley is a fockin ripoff and everyone that works there except for Jamie are complete fuggin morons. But they do have a lot of shit.

6) Next time, I am going to get the whole "backing plate assembly" with the backing plate, shoes, springs, cylinder. Proably go for the free backing type so I dont have to hop out of the truck to put the pins in.

Agree, the Anchor usually has what you need, but the service/experience there has been sliding.

I bought the entire backing plate setup. It was easy to install. Now I have a leak in my system that I haven't been able to locate. I'm thinking of converting to electric brakes.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Either Bear or there is a Newer Place with a couple guys trying to make a go of it. They seem like they know what they are doing and had good selection of parts. Always working all hours.
www.nomafab.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts