Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is 12:1 compression...always turns over slow. I know the starter is probably a little weak. That being said, if you install dual batteries and use both the start, does the motor turn over much stronger or just the same as a single battery. Or is a dual battery system only really good to have the second battery as a backup..thanks schoolin me..

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Which type of starter? Regular full-size or gear-reduction?

I have switched to gear-reduction on everything I can get one for. Probably draws HALF of the current of a full-sized one and spins just as fast; if not faster than before.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I ran dual red Optimas in my flat for years , cranked like crazy on the "dual" postion , I'd crank it for oil pressure then run on one till I needed the other for back up , doing the same with my Mach1 with conventional bats and a "small pinion" reduction starter (no charging system) ;)

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which type of starter? Regular full-size or gear-reduction?

I have switched to gear-reduction on everything I can get one for. Probably draws HALF of the current of a full-sized one and spins just as fast; if not faster than before.
It appears to be a stock starter..turns slow. but I thought if I put dual batteries in a could solve 2 problems at once..I have to get a new battery today because the other one just died.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
It appears to be a stock starter..turns slow. but I thought if I put dual batteries in a could solve 2 problems at once..I have to get a new battery today because the other one just died.
Get a red top or blue top Optima and be done with it for a decade. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Tom,
Does draining those batteries that often cause you any trouble?

I ran dual red Optimas in my flat for years , cranked like crazy on the "dual" postion , I'd crank it for oil pressure then run on one till I needed the other for back up , doing the same with my Mach1 with conventional bats and a "small pinion" reduction starter (no charging system) ;)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It would be a pretty safe bet that the starter end bushings are worn.

This causes the rotor to "drag" and takes a bunch more amperage to do the same job, gear reduction starters are much better with the added torque and the permanent magnet motors are spinning at a higher rpm than an "old style" deal.

I have taken a dual winding (High torque) starter and re bushed the ends with a torrington bearing and they kick ass, the problem is the machine work and the bearings themselves cost $40 each (it was an experiment...)

Dual batteries creates twice the amps but it would be a short time fix IMO...

GT :)hand

·
Registered
36 Posts
My compression is the same and I run a dual battery set-up, just run them in-line and it will work great. With only 1 hooked up the boat will crank slow and it can kill the battery quickly if it's already down in charge. The duals fire it up immediately and Ive never had any charging issues etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts