Performance Boats Forum banner

dual points Mallory distributor conversion to electronic

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  79miller 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever converted a mallory dual points distributor to electronic firing? I want to get away from screwing with points all the time.:)st I see that Mallory sells a conversion kit, but I dont know if it requires vacum advance or not. Seems to me it would work, but I just dont know for sure. If it helps anyone answer the question I have mallory part number 2563401 for my distributor. Thanks.

#3 ·
Yes, I've done the conversion on the mallory in my BBF. If memory serves me correctly the kit can be installed without even removing/retiming the distributor. It has made a world of difference and saved a few bucks.

Short story:I was out on the lake one day and the boat wouldn't start. I could not figure what in the world was going on. Turns out a fried the ignition module. Summit racing was only a few minutes away so I went and picked up just the ignition module and it has been fine since(probably just due to my poor wiring/battery that was in my boat)

#5 ·
Just what I wanted to hear!

Thanks Guys, I am going to do it, just wanted to make sure it was more reliable than points. I am running the red headed stepchild of Big Block motors though (455 Olds). We had to screw with the dist for an hour last weekend cuz we didn't tighten the set screw enough on one of the points. I hate being one of those stereotype "run it for an hour, work on it for two" Jet boaters.

#9 ·
Thanks Guys, I am going to do it, just wanted to make sure it was more reliable than points. I am running the red headed stepchild of Big Block motors though (455 Olds). We had to screw with the dist for an hour last weekend cuz we didn't tighten the set screw enough on one of the points. I hate being one of those stereotype "run it for an hour, work on it for two" Jet boaters.
I just purchased an HEI off of ebay for $40 BRAND NEW AND REPLACED MY POINTS SYSTEM. works perfect

#11 ·
I added the pertronix unit a couple of years ago with no problems yet. I have the dual mallory dizzy also. easy install. Ive had water in the dizzy (condensation) and I also had my kiddo turn the key to on without me knowing when it was stored and it was on for god knows how long since I had two batteries. I would guess prolly a month it was on. Nothing was wrong from that deal either. If I had an open engine compartment I would personally run a hei. Hei gives you a hotter spark. Pertronix is giving you an electronic dwell. Basically just a hall sensor I think. Pertronix unit is the cheapest route and would be the choice for enclosed compartments. A marine hei is spendy.
If you want to spend a ton of money and have crap buy MSD, and carry a spare box from them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.