Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be running e85 in my cruiser this summer and will likely be running an electric pump with fuel returns, which would be new to me. Typically in the past I've always just drawn from both tanks with a T fitting, and the tanks stay pretty even. My first thought was to just draw from both tanks and return to both tanks, but after reading some things, I'm not sure that will work - I'm afraid I could run into an overfill problem if things don't stay even. Would I be ok to do a loop to right back behind the fuel pump in a boat? I've read that you can have fuel temp issues doing that. I'm just running a mild carbureted BBC maybe 450-500 HP. What would be the best way to handle ?

Thanks

·
Steady Rollin
1,131 Posts
I've been toying with adding a return style fuel pressure regulator, which essentially would do the same thing. You would need to bleed that extra fuel over pressure somewhere. I saw some people were running that return back in line BEFORE the pump and tying it inline there with a T like you mentioned. I dont know what sort of issues this would cause, but its worth researching more. I know @obnoxious001 has some experience running an inline electric pump w/ a mechanical, he might be able to offer some input.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My fuel lines come from the tanks to a tee that I made. From the tee, a #10 line runs to a large inline filter and then to a mechanical Clay Smith pump. The pump feeds a log with a return style regulator on the opposite end of the log from the inlet. I run the return from the regulator to the tank tee. I have run my deal like this for well over 15 years without ever seeing a problem. Mine is a jet with a mild gas blower motor.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Return to the T or better yet the top of the Y that ties the tanks together. 3 of them here 1/2 NPT and 1 #10 male $58 shipped.

Reactions: sintax
1 - 7 of 7 Posts