Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Wow!!

Amazing pictures, like you said it skipped a couple of times. Almost like it kept losing energy & came it a softer stop.

Word is Duff is ok correct?

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
WOW is right... What a ride that was. Glad that he is OK. I guess that boat will need some tender loving care along with a boat load of money to fix, if it can be fixed... When did this happen ?

Steve

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW is right... What a ride that was. Glad that he is OK. I guess that boat will need some tender loving care along with a boat load of money to fix, if it can be fixed... When did this happen ?

Steve
It happened yesterday in Oregan. The boat is a total loss

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Glad to hear that he's ok! :))THumbsUp It looks like the offset of the cockpit/capsule caused enough downforce at those speeds to keep that side of the boat down while the other side lifted and took off........taking the entire boat with it! That was one wild ride, glad he wasn't injured! Sorry to hear the boat was a total loss though. :( Has anybody heard yet if the K-boat record was broken?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Record Holder

Steve
Was the Kilo k-boat record holder and it was a B-BOAT built at steele marine. This boat raced over sea's also :D

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
sorry to see such a nice boat get killed like that but I'm glad that Duff is OK. Seems to me that at the speeds that the K's are going now that someone is going to have to get one of these boats in a wind tunnel to find out what it is going to take to keep them going right side up. I know that wind tunnel time and the engineering needed to make this happen is expensive but so is someones life not to mention the cost of the boats and hardware.

I hope that someone can come up with the money that it is going to take to do this. The K boat people are really getting the things running hard now and they are going to another level now... Just one mans opinion...

Steve

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I talked to Duff this morning about 11:00, he said " I'm fine other than my tailbone is a little sore " !

The boat did suffer quite abit of damage. The capsule did it's job !!!!!!!!

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Enough said for floatation foam, Glad he's doing well, and the boat was salvaged.

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
sorry to see such a nice boat get killed like that but I'm glad that Duff is OK. Seems to me that at the speeds that the K's are going now that someone is going to have to get one of these boats in a wind tunnel to find out what it is going to take to keep them going right side up. I know that wind tunnel time and the engineering needed to make this happen is expensive but so is someones life not to mention the cost of the boats and hardware.

I hope that someone can come up with the money that it is going to take to do this. The K boat people are really getting the things running hard now and they are going to another level now... Just one mans opinion...

Steve
Steve, the K boat Kilo record was set at 140 in 1974 by Gordy's dad. The current record some 35 years later is only at 147. The new SS record is only 17 mph slower.

I guess my point is that I dissagree with your view that they're running on another level now.

IMHO I think the record should be well into the 150's with HP available today.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Steve, the K boat Kilo record was set at 140 in 1974 by Gordy's dad. The current record some 35 years later is only at 147. The new SS record is only 17 mph slower.

I guess my point is that I dissagree with your view that they're running on another level now.

Just my .02
X2. But not until they make some changes in the bottom design. Awfully hard to run those MPH in what is pretty much a true flat. You can stack all the HP in to it but if the boat can't take all the extra HP it will only make the problems worse. Just my .02

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts

Just my .02
I agree with you Jerry, I think the level is about the same as it has been for decades. There are good running boats now as there have been from time to time through the years. And outstanding drivers, as there have been from time to time through the years. The only real advancement that has been made is the use of capsules (which is a big advancement not to be discounted) imo.

The simple truth I believe is, that running these kilo speeds for that long a distance, on the edge, in any boat, is a tough assignment. Anything can and does sometimes go wrong. Boats crash on the race course too, and not always in the corners. Case in point, several near crashes saved by Duff this year at Burley. Someone with less experience in that same situation the boat would have been history then. There are pics in my Burley picture thread of this event. It happened 3 times during the weekend that I recall and saw. In the most violent of the 3 the boat was completely airborne on 2 bounces and recovered. Other boats driven that hard get out of shape also throughout history. Much of it is driver finesse at those speeds.

Would air tunnel testing help. Certainly couldn't hurt I would think, but who's got the resources to do that in boat racing?

I don't mean to disrespect your opinion Steve, I just don't see it the same on the K's. They are certainly fast presently. But looking back through history there have been several boats and drivers that were very fast. Julian, Goettle, Gordy, Duff, just to name a couple. There are numerous others, but that is my point, there have been many right there at that level.

If there's a class that has gone to a new level in 3 decades I would think that class is Superstock.

In closing I'm certainly glad Duff is ok. New boats can be built. People aren't replaceable.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Glad Duff is ok. Something I noticed is that the lid stayed shut throughout the whole incident. The capsule in the boat that I have driven came from the same builder, Jamie Auld/Bert Henderson. This is another good endorsement for capsules. Duffs previous record was 147.265. Just wondering how fast he was going.

Brian

·
''GHOST of COLDFIRE''
1,887 Posts
Glad Duff is ok Did anybody notice it looked like the rudder was CUT DOWN? I think the limits have been reached for this type of boat thats why the record stood for so long.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
OK, I give up, don't shoot ... I think what I should of said was "I HOPE" that someone can get these boats to handle the speed better than they seem to do now... I know that they have been running fast for a long time but I just hate to see these guys crashing. We have lost too many boat drivers already... I would love to see them run faster and safer... If that is possible...

OK, shoot away...:D:D

Steve

1 - 20 of 61 Posts