Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Couple dumb rich guys..... :duh:

:54:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lucky to be alive. When I used to fly, at riverside airport they have a big "WHEELS" sign on the approach pattern right in front of the runway. Don't know why other airports don't do the same.

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
Thats a private residence strip, most dont even have lights.

Dont most people try to land their planes with the wheels down?:)sphss
I don't think they have fly in communities in Luxumburg. Looks like a small flying club strip. Someone had some big explaining to do on that one.

Edit: The plane was registered in Luxumburg. The airport where they crashed is Megeve France a mountain ski resort area. Curiousity got the best of me.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I might get flamed for this. But why is the alarm so high pitched? I showed this clip to my father and he couldn't hear the alarm going off. He also can't hear the audible alarm in his donzi for low oil pressure. He can hear fine just not high pitches.

As a joke when I was younger, I hooked up a back up beeper out of a truck in his Viper. Never noticed it was there and wondered why he got funny looks when he backed up. :)sphss

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
I'm not sure why they have that high of a pitch on the warning indicator, but there should have also been a big bright light on the control panel indicating that the gear were not down. They also did not use a check list for pre landing checks. The total lack of concern after the crash said so much about why they crashed.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I'm not sure why they have that high of a pitch on the warning indicator, but there should have also been a big bright light on the control panel indicating that the gear were not down. They also did not use a check list for pre landing checks. The total lack of concern after the crash said so much about why they crashed.
Watch the video! the buzzer was sounding and on the gauge cluster the red light was blinking. If this guy was a LICENSED pilot and didn't catch either he needs to be grounded! Also PTC is correct, that was either a private or non-controlled strip. Either way it was flat stupid and don't worry the insurance will take care of it! I just wish an investigator takes care of the deal. people like this don't need to be in the sky. Mark

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
I bet the pilot had to do a go around after screwing up the first landing attempt, going to full power and retracting the landing gear.
The missed approach causes a pilot to have a tunnel vision mindset and he screwed up with a belly up landing

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd almost bet that they knew they had a gear problem and the buzzer was just confirming it. They both need their asses kicked though. The pilot for not chopping the power before the prop strike and then screwing with the prop after the fact. The passenger needs his ass kicked and his lunch money taken for having that sweater around his neck like that!

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
IF the pilot knew he had a gear problem, then he sure didn't show it by his casual attitude during the approach and the lack of even a pickup truck with a fire extingisher. If the plane had a known gear issue they would have diverted it to a bigger airport where they have crash rescue. The small European strips usually have Unicom Radios and during the day are usually manned. I doubt the pilot had a clue what was about to happen. For one thing, he wouldn't have a passenger holding a potential projectile right behind his head if he knew he was about to crash land.

·
Registered
66 Posts
IF the pilot knew he had a gear problem, then he sure didn't show it by his casual attitude during the approach and the lack of even a pickup truck with a fire extingisher. If the plane had a known gear issue they would have diverted it to a bigger airport where they have crash rescue. The small European strips usually have Unicom Radios and during the day are usually manned. I doubt the pilot had a clue what was about to happen. For one thing, he wouldn't have a passenger holding a potential projectile right behind his head if he knew he was about to crash land.
Looking at it a second time they did look like they had the WTF look on their faces when they came to a stop. I'll bet that they couldn't hear the warning alarm with the headsets on. They still look like a couple of nuckleheads and the guy wearing the sweater with the arms tied around his neck still needs to be slapped .....aw hell they both need slapping!

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at it a second time they did look like they had the WTF look on their faces when they came to a stop. I'll bet that they couldn't hear the warning alarm with the headsets on. They still look like a couple of nuckleheads and the guy wearing the sweater with the arms tied around his neck still needs to be slapped .....aw hell they both need slapping!
Like some one said, probably noise cancelling head sets, but you'd think warning horns, etc would be wired into the intercom. BUT not using a check list was a really, really bad mistake. I've used one on simple aircraft.

At the least it will need is a prop, engine tear down/replacement, skin work on the belly, and replace the antennas that were ripped off. As far as the sweater, they are French, no? :wink2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts