Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· New here
4,028 Posts
My theory is;

They don't spin the prop fast enough to require a stainless prop. Additionally, since the prop is UNDER the boat, it is more easily accessed by trees, rocks, debris. The bronze will fold much sooner than stainless- thus saving all of the parts upstream. Therefore, I THINK it's for safety/damage prevention. Just a guess, though.

· Registered
355 Posts
Yup. It's because of the direct drive (or V drive) on the boats. Since they top out at about 50 mph, and run between 260 and 400 hp, bronze works just fine. Michigan wheel does make stainless props, they claim that they don't flex under load (probably right) and they're tougher. They're more expensive, and indeed they wont bend on most stuff you touch with them. The downside, the stiffness can lead to expensive shaft/tranny repairs that a mere bent tip on a bronzy would run 100 bucks to fix.

· Registered
1,486 Posts
As a direct drive owner I can tell you for sure. You want the prop to bend before the shaft. Simple as that. And as others have said, no need for stainless, they are all too slow anyways.

Darrell.

· Registered
187 Posts
I can attest to this as I also have one myself. They feel if they hit something the damage is minimal (BS) You should see some of the damage these boats do.
Although the brass props such as OJ builds are very good, but nothing beats a SS.

o

· You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
Tried the hell outta stainless on the Tige'.
No advantage.

Brass ACME props are the way IMHO.

Smoother running with brass,, very noticeable.
Like a belt drive vs chain drive on a Harley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.