Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
#04039B: Special Coverage Adjustment - Injectors-Replace - (Nov 19, 2007)

Subject: 04039B - Special Policy Adjustment - Injector - Replace

Models: 2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak

2003-2004 GMC TopKick

Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD 2004 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 04039A, DATED OCTOBER, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and SI).

Special Policy Adjustment
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

if you're under the 7yrs, and have less than 200k miles, why are you doin them? they're not easy to do, takes a special tool to remove them from the head without pulling the sleeves outta the head.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Mileage = 289K
From what I've read/seen pass side doesn't look all that bad. Driver's looks a bit more buried. Any tips on keeping this as painless as possible.
just drain the radiator before starting just in case you accidently pull a injector sleeve out with the injector. if it happens, the sleeve is surrounded by coolant, and if the sleeve comes out, it'll fill the cylinder with coolant if there's any in the head;) just make sure to drain the radiator.

the valve covers are 2 piece. the top takes a 6mm allen socket to remove the bolts, then there's a harness goin to the injectors you have to remove, its 7mm and a 10mm socket. once the harness is off, you can remove the lower v-cover and then the injectors.

dude, from past experience, if you replace injectors on 1 side, the other side will go into bad fuel return values and start smoking.ya gotta think of the new injector as what the computer see's as the best injector, then it'll judge the rest by that new injector. if the new injector has a good return of say -1.2mm, the others that were returning 1.2mm will now show high (over +3 or -3). it sux, but that's the way it is.

yes, the driver's side is a muthaphucker:|err there's a bolt in the valve cover in the rear that you have to beat the firewall back an inch to get to:mad:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a couple hours here and there the pass side upper cover is ready to come off. Driver side upper cover has 4 screws (5mm not 6mm) left and looks to be challenging.

I gotta say given the project, I'm surprised to be able tear down to this point with just a 12mm and 8mm socket, 5mm bit.
For anyone thinking of taking on this project, here's a link to where a guy did an awesome write-up.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279436

· Hot Diggity Dog
85 Posts
IMPATIENT 1;Special Policy Adjustment [B said:
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first[/B], from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.
Are you saying if I had all (8) injectors replaced about two years ago and now have 213K miles and have (2) bad injectors I should be able to have them fixed again under warantee?

I was told that since I went over the 200K mark the warantee expired.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

HDD

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Are you saying if I had all (8) injectors replaced about two years ago and now have 213K miles and have (2) bad injectors I should be able to have them fixed again under warantee?

I was told that since I went over the 200K mark the warantee expired.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

HDD
yeah, if you're over the 200k, you're on your own unfortunately:)st

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.