Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Just a Gigilo...
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled these old pics down and took some pics of the pics...Sorry for quality...Can you name some of 'em?

Also a couple from back when I got started many many moons ago.

Let's see what you got in your garage/shop...

?? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

My first (the blue 84 Sanger Ski Hydro)

The Fancy Sausage

·
Registered
653 Posts
I always giggle whan i see that roll bar in that open Hydro :p

Some great Photos thankie for sharing

·
Registered
271 Posts
is that other black boat bob burrows? was that his name? wasnt there a fuel boat named plum crazy? ran a old 392? somebody help, im gettin up in years. dam i never thought ide get forgetfull in my 40"s.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Those roll cage capsules are just crazy.My bosses brother jerry drove the hillbilly and his kids still have that roll cage deal he crashed with and it is a scary thing to look at.

·
Just a Gigilo...
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those roll cage capsules are just crazy.My bosses brother jerry drove the hillbilly and his kids still have that roll cage deal he crashed with and it is a scary thing to look at.
I believe that was a very crippling crash if I remenber correctly. Loss of limb?

I would love to see some of their Hillbilly pics and other photos from back then...

I was there when Ron crashed at Chowchilla and I remember him saying that he couldn't believe how sore he was from head to toe and that was only about 120-130. Did not even want to know what 200+ would feel like. (Maybe Ron can chime in)

It was so wild back in the 80's when topfuel, blown alcohol and blown gas ran without capsule/rollcage.

I remember when all of them up through blown alcohol launched at the far end of Chowchilla and did their show-off/burn-out pass right next to the shore spectators, heading down to starting rope. No fence back then. Still give's me goose bumps thinking about how cool it was.
SOOO many boats ran back then...I need to dig out the old poloroids, scan and post.

Oh yeah, that's Walt OTT in his Performance Plus fueler. It would submarine when he launched and then pop way-out like an inflated ball would if you pushed it underwater and let go.

·
Just a Gigilo...
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the XH-1 #386 was a blown gas hydro called "Holy Smokes"
A guy named Jim Paxia originally owned it from 84-86 and called it "Holy Smokes". He ran in class called UNBLOWN GAS HYDRO...

I bought it from him in '86 less engine and set it up for the 8 sec. class and eventually NJBA blown gas hydro. Called it the Fancy Sausage.
Ran often as I could around Calif. races until '93 then sold to Mike Gilday wherein he installed a capsule and ran Blown Gas Hydro as Shattered Image. Mike still has it sitting in his shop in Dixon, Ca.

·
Registered
271 Posts
my god , crashin in that cage felt like i got hit by 3 semi"s, 2 trains, 1 car, 6 mma fighters, and my highschool prom queen, ( who is now 300 lbs). the next day when i moved my baby toe all ya herd was , OW OW OWWWWWW.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I pulled these old pics down and took some pics of the pics...Sorry for quality...Can you name some of 'em?

Also a couple from back when I got started many many moons ago.

Let's see what you got in your garage/shop...

?? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

My first (the blue 84 Sanger Ski Hydro)

The Fancy Sausage

[/QUOT

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow .... these pic sure brought back sum memories ..... some good some bad , Talk about " ON THE EDGE " the mid 80 s ... Guys running-Top fuel ....... F#%$ How could you walk with balls that big , They had to be fearless , Evey run was on the edge , I remember a race i think at pudding stone , RB was lined up with the liberty boat .... Liberty lost a prop through the traps and flew the boat , I felt sick when i saw that , and don't ever want to see anything like it again , Wow , things have sure changed !

·
Registered
89 Posts
HI, These are cool old nostalgia pics. Do you know where I can get some early 80's pics. I am looking for a boat called "California Express" boat # 027, Kurtis 500 Hydro. He raced in IHBA and NDBA. Around 1982-1986. They would be pics of my father-in-law. I am trying to find one to frame for his birthday. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated. Thnx

·
Just a Gigilo...
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow .... these pic sure brought back sum memories ..... some good some bad , Talk about " ON THE EDGE " the mid 80 s ... Guys running-Top fuel ....... F#%$ How could you walk with balls that big , They had to be fearless , Evey run was on the edge , I remember a race i think at pudding stone , RB was lined up with the liberty boat .... Liberty lost a prop through the traps and flew the boat , I felt sick when i saw that , and don't ever want to see anything like it again , Wow , things have sure changed !

That was at Chowchilla...Dave Nolte drove the Liberty topfueler...I was at the ramp preparing to launch with next group of boats. He went through the traps at prox 210mph when he and boat flew about 60ft in the air. The boat flipped around and hit him way up in the air like a ping pong paddle. I still have the Redding Video of that race. I witnessed lots of drivers give up their lives in the 80's.

·
Registered
821 Posts
pp

That was at Chowchilla...Dave Nolte drove the Liberty topfueler...I was at the ramp preparing to launch with next group of boats. He went through the traps at prox 210mph when he and boat flew about 60ft in the air. The boat flipped around and hit him way up in the air like a ping pong paddle. I still have the Redding Video of that race. I witnessed lots of drivers give up their lives in the 80's.
I was at that race, Very sad day, for all .....

·
Registered
271 Posts
dave nolte, drivin for paul allen, the owner of liberty chevy. the kindest nicest, most caring group yad ever meet. personally ill never forget those people. never.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts