Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Do a Google search, tons of horror stories about them:)violent My uncle bought a short block from them, all the ring gaps were lined up!:)sphss

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Is this the guy that sells all the kits on egay?

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
To each his own. My sons build and dyno-tune their own engines and often use Scott for parts and as a trusted resource. I have no doubts there have been bad experiences with customers but just think about the variables that take place after an engine leaves any shop. I suspect 90% of the dissatisfied customers had a hand in their own dissatisfaction. We like Scott, his products, and trust his advice. He most certainly has a lot more satisfied customers than the ones you hear about.

·
655 Posts
I got my 565 shortblock from him 4 years ago. I tore down the motor after 2 seasons and about 30 bottles of nitrous & it looked like new inside. I put in new rings & bearings and put it back together. I have 2 seasons on it now with no problems. I will tear it down again this winter for a freshen up but I have had no issues.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I bought a 496 short block from him 3 years ago! I had planned to bolt some heads on and go but, I decided to open it up and check all clearences! Glad I did because it was to tight and had one rod strip the threads! Had to do a total rebalance and add heavy metal to the crank! Motor was balanced but would have shook itself to death! Just goes to show nomatter who puts it together recheck everything! I didn't get pissed over this deal because I bought it before I checked anything out! So it was on me!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I drag raced in vegas for 12 years. This shop has the worst reputation in town. By far! Avoid this shop at all costs. If you want more info just go check out the vegas racer forums.

My buddy RC built a 347 stroker there and it was a total loss. Heads were decked to the point of no return. Bearing clearances were shit. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!:))ThumbsDwn:))ThumbsDwn

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
He has great prices on parts, but I wouldn't trust him to assemble anything!
Bought a block from him supposedly machined, ready to assemble. Short story, bore clearances were oversize, lifter bores weren't honed (Dart's are known to be tight and was spec'ed to be checked/honed) and the block wasn't decked. Scott was real easy to get on the phone before the sale, but after the sale would never would take a call with questions about his work. Got it cheap enough I could re-do the machine work and not be completely upside-down in it. I would consider any motor or short block to be a collection of parts that needs disassembled and checked. Just my experience and I'll never do business with him again.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have three seasons on my 514, I bought the short block from him , but checked everything out first. I had to free it up some as it had no end play. Other than that can not complain about the time frame and cost on that short block.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I buy parts regularly from him. I have a 572 short from him. I check everything regardless of who it is from. I just don't trust anyone to assemble an engine. If you pay $30k for a short expect it to be perfect. If you pay $5k for a short take the time and some of that cash you saved to buy the tools to check the clearances. Even if you aren't the best at using them you will get some experience using them.

Don't expect a $5k short to be a $30k short.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a rotating assembly from them and they sent me the wrong pistons. I didn't notice until I had filed all the rings. I called them up explained what had happened and the took care of it right away and were very apologetic. I would use them again.

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
been there a few times only to buy stuff when in a bind and hes the only guy in town who has what i need.

One time I called looking for std size piston rings for a 454....it wasnt scott, but some other dude. he confirmed they had them in stock. i drove the 45 minutes in traffic in a rush to make it before they closed only to find they didnt have them in stock and never carry them in stock either. :)st

if youre in vegas lookin for parts, theres FigSpeed in Henderson (formally from Havasu) and also theres a new shop opening up in the north west called Local Speed Shop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got a ton of horror stories about scott. I wont even give him a dime or piss on him if he's on fire. To me a man selling you an engine yet he cant even look you in the face says it all. He used to have good help, needless to say theres a reason they dont work there anymore. You get what you pay for. My friend actually own local speed shop, vegas people should get in touch with him, hes just starting out and is respectively priced. Figspeed coming up here from havasu has been a huge blessing as well!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts