Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting on the dyno room. I am frickin tired of working on the shop. I'd prefer to go back to drinking every night. BUT, that doesn't accomplish anything.
So.... most rooms have the cold air (fresh air) come in right above the engine. I guess that makes sense.... if only running carb pieces....
What have you guys seen?
I am leaning toward bringing in fresh air at the front of the cell (top). This seems to me as it would clear the heat/ etc better.
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stahl says to suck and blow... ha... ok, blow air into the room, and use exhaust fans. I have never seen this.... anyone??
That doesn't mean it ain't right... I just haven't seen it.
Oh, room is std 10w x 12 deep.
Wags

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Stahl says to suck and blow... ha... ok, blow air into the room, and use exhaust fans. I have never seen this.... anyone??
That doesn't mean it ain't right... I just haven't seen it.
Oh, room is std 10w x 12 deep.
Wags
supply fan(s) and exhaust fan(s). supply can come from the corner in front of the engine. but it should be a 15x18 or 20' room, not a closet. and set it up so your control area is in front of the engine, not off to the side like one I saw...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BP... yes, console in front of engine... question is, why so big? I need to measure the stand. I am a one man band... I wasn't planning on shelving in there. We used to roll in tool box as needed, a tool cart works great. 15' w x 20 seems huge.
The dyno room I worked out of for years had a side door. We rolled the engine in on the dyno stand (superflow 901). I really don't see a need for an over head hoist like some suggest.
How wide is a BBC with headers? 3' over that on each side should be huge.
Wags

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
BP... yes, console in front of engine... question is, why so big? I need to measure the stand. I am a one man band... I wasn't planning on shelving in there. We used to roll in tool box as needed, a tool cart works great. 15' w x 20 seems huge.
The dyno room I worked out of for years had a side door. We rolled the engine in on the dyno stand (superflow 901). I really don't see a need for an over head hoist like some suggest.
How wide is a BBC with headers? 3' over that on each side should be huge.
Wags
big side door is plenty to get a cherry picker in and out. tables to stage stuff is also good. 3' clearance between headers and wall?? somebody the size of ed won't even fit to walk around it. tables for staging, a couple roll arounds that are left there. 10 x 12 may sound just spiffy right now. but your going to wish it was bigger. 15 x 20 may be too huge. but 10 x 12 is barely a closet and will be too small... just imo.

·
Administrator
16,894 Posts
Generally the engine intake area is covered with a hood from the intake fan. Making sure the engine only gets fresh air and not hot dyno room air.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BP,
Talked to my boat buddies... they said 12' wide is min. They have a 12 x 16 I think. They do big stuff.... offshore crap. So, they have cabiets, dry sump tanks, etc hanging on walls. They are fat, too.... HA (not reallly)
And WHY would I want Ed in there?
So, I am sold on 12' wide. I will go about 16 long. It works out for trusses (for top plate)
So, back to airflow.... it sounds like I will need at least (2) wal mart oscillating fans.
Wgas

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, they also said they move 30,000.... yes, I verified that...CFM! Now, back to they do big offshore blown stuff....efi.... so they will burn through 100 gallons of fuel just setting up the fuel curves.... HOT.
They said that would be overkill for me.
Wags

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Oh, they also said they move 30,000.... yes, I verified that...CFM! Now, back to they do big offshore blown stuff....efi.... so they will burn through 100 gallons of fuel just setting up the fuel curves.... HOT.
Wags
waggles, is this for an engine stand or dyno? didn't you buy a dyno some years ago? amid fighting with mounties? did that thing survive the fire or was it someplace else?
oh, and you need to plan on moving some air through that room or you won't be running the engines very long.
and you'd need ed there to tell you your dyno room rope deflector isn't good enough...

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
supply fan(s) and exhaust fan(s). supply can come from the corner in front of the engine. but it should be a 15x18 or 20' room, not a closet. and set it up so your control area is in front of the engine, not off to the side like one I saw...
It's much easier to control the environment in a smaller room than a larger room and a repeatable environment is a must.

Here's a really interesting read with some details you would probably never think of:
Building a Dyno Room

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Wags
For your blower engines I'd say 28-30K cfm would be about right.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
I would not have a cherry picker in the dyno room. Set up a cart system where you load and unload the engines outside the dyno room and just wheel them in and out. Makes life a LOT easier.

·
Village Idiot
3,563 Posts
Waggles, (sounds like some silly kids TV show) Ours is about 14' by 24' or so. Granted ours does double duty as a paint booth so it had to be big enough to pull a crew cab dually and close the door. We can draw about 20,000 cfm right now and I already bought another fan to up it to about 35.000. The one thing I lack is a fan that blows air in, and I plan on having it be easy to adjust from carb setups to different injection setups. We really don't have issues repeating if I take my time to keep the temps consistent. Not just my engine temps but also my cell temps. Anyway, we only have time to dyno something maybe once a year so it almost does not even matter anyway for us. LOL

Paul

·
Distinguished Member
5,783 Posts
The dyno I've used for my last few engines is a small room, Guessing 12' square. Has benches down each side but nothing on the front and back. Has a huge fresh air supply fan and the exhaust is plumbed to the outside through a couple huge mufflers. First dyno I'd been on with mufflers.... different experience and much better IMO. It also has a cart set up that you can drop the engine in using the shop hoist and roll it in to the dyno room to set it up as well as an "I" beam above the cart. Controls/computer at the front with a heavy duty window to watch the going's on....

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Fuel line Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Machine

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BP, yes, bought a dyno, went to jail, gave up a pistol, it (the dyno) wasn't hurt by fire....
It is a SF901, so, I will roll the engine "cart" out of the room, install engine, add whatever needed, roll in. The SF just has the 2 water lines in and out, a few cables in the front (quick attach) and a fuel line.
So, I don't need a picker, lift, etc in the room. The door will be 42" wide or better, so engine with headers will roll in.
Superflow says 14500 cfm at 1" H2O. I have the number of an ag guy around here. They use big ass fans to dry grain.... so.... will see how that works.
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waggles, (sounds like some silly kids TV show) Ours is about 14' by 24' or so. Granted ours does double duty as a paint booth so it had to be big enough to pull a crew cab dually and close the door. We can draw about 20,000 cfm right now and I already bought another fan to up it to about 35.000. The one thing I lack is a fan that blows air in, and I plan on having it be easy to adjust from carb setups to different injection setups. We really don't have issues repeating if I take my time to keep the temps consistent. Not just my engine temps but also my cell temps. Anyway, we only have time to dyno something maybe once a year so it almost does not even matter anyway for us. LOL

Paul
Paul, so, do you think 12w is enough? A dyno isn't quite as wide as a CC dually. HA
Wags

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paul, so, do you think 12w is enough? A dyno isn't quite as wide as a CC dually. HA
Wags
When I bought mine from superflow. They gave me a whole layout of what the room should look like. and the size is important Call them they will send it to you. Air intake is over the engine and the BIG fan is in the back outside wall. room is 12 x 14 x 8 ft height. My building is 19' height so the intake was no problem. The fan pulls the air thru the Opening in the ceiling over the engine and out the back wall

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I have the superflow specs... they said 10w x 12d x 8'.
I have decided 12w is cool. 16d is totally do able. The link Dan put up is a 12 x 15 cell.... 16 just works better because it hits under a truss.
Walls get painted tomorrow by the dope smokin painter dude.
Floor will be next up.... And ceiling tin. (drop ceiling under trusses) 11' to bottom of trusses. No reason to heat all the area from bottom of truss to roof.
Wags

Oh, TV and couch will be right after floor..... then ceiling.. HA

1 - 20 of 109 Posts