1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
:)hand

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
When the stuff first got popular I wanted to build an E85 jet boat called "Corn fed" and get the E85 "lobby" to sponsor it ............ they never returned my calls , imagine that :D

Should have sent them some JBP swag and they might have changed their mind :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
E-85 = Lie

I love the "Corn Fed" idea tom, but the truth is that it takes about 3/4 of a gallon of petrolum based fuel (diesel or gas) to make one gallon of "corn gas". It is a good way to keep american farmers in business though, and part of what we are being taxed on gasoline is going towards subsidising the continuance of ethanal. I wish ethanal would not be mixed into any other fuels, cuz it absorbs water so easily.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I love the "Corn Fed" idea tom, but the truth is that it takes about 3/4 of a gallon of petrolum based fuel (diesel or gas) to make one gallon of "corn gas". It is a good way to keep american farmers in business though, and part of what we are being taxed on gasoline is going towards subsidising the continuance of ethanal. I wish ethanal would not be mixed into any other fuels, cuz it absorbs water so easily.
Sounds like you're up on most of the E85 scuttlebutt.
You didn't mention the one about how it's supposed to burn the pistons and scuff the skirts though. :rolleyes:

Any personal experience or just internet "facts" ?

I've used E85 for two seasons and burned over 400 gallons by now and haven't found any of the negatives yet. Some fuel even sat in the tanks through the winter and I burned it in the spring.

So how much energy does it take to make a gallon of gas ?
That didn't come free either.
Especially if the crude oil came from Canada where we get most of ours from.

·
Administrator
16,894 Posts
Thats always the arguement about an alternative fuel. How much energy it takes to make it.

Gasoline is the least effecient produced fuel. The oil has to be found, drilled, transported, refined, the gas transported etc. It's just done on such a large scale it seems OK

I've been pushinr E-85 since I first heard about it. It was cheaper than everything else for long time. But at the moment can get methanol for $85 -1$00 a 55 gallon drum. But that doesnt last long. Methanol pricing is all over the place.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds like you're up on most of the E85 scuttlebutt.
You didn't mention the one about how it's supposed to burn the pistons and scuff the skirts though. :rolleyes:

Any personal experience or just internet "facts" ?

I've used E85 for two seasons and burned over 400 gallons by now and haven't found any of the negatives yet. Some fuel even sat in the tanks through the winter and I burned it in the spring.

So how much energy does it take to make a gallon of gas ?
That didn't come free either.
Especially if the crude oil came from Canada where we get most of ours from.
I have had experience with the water absorbsion thing, my work truck had to have the injectors changed cuz of the water that was absorbed while I was working in poaque (north of Abq).
I was really just trying to put the fact out there that e-85 is not as much of an "alternative" fuel as many think it is. It is awesome that you are running it, i do know that it can be used as an antifreeze for gas lines. Are you getting more hp out of it cuz i do know it is usually above 100 octane?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I have had experience with the water absorbsion thing, my work truck had to have the injectors changed cuz of the water that was absorbed while I was working in poaque (north of Abq).
I was really just trying to put the fact out there that e-85 is not as much of an "alternative" fuel as many think it is. It is awesome that you are running it, i do know that it can be used as an antifreeze for gas lines. Are you getting more hp out of it cuz i do know it is usually above 100 octane?
I think we can all agree the higher octane has more potential to make "more" power. Mark is got the set up IMO by turning up or down the boost and hitting some buttons on his laptop he can take advantage of the higher octane e85 without being a slave to it. Heck he could probably set that sucker up to run on everclear and listerine if he tried:)sphss Imo to take advantage of it(E85) you have to be willing to build a e85 specific motor, or at least a higher than pump gas CR. Or at least being able to adjust boost would definatly be a bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts