Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
A little more information would be helpful.
Is it blown, how will you use the boat (performance or cruising), is this a new motor, rebuild or using the motor you have now?

I use it in a blown flat and like it. I also have a slightly larger performance V-drive and would not use it for that boat.
I'd do the e85 again in the flat though.

Calculate the fuel you expect to use now and reduce the running time and or distance by 1/3. Does that work for how you use the boat?
You could put in larger tanks as an option, but that cancels any performance gains you would get from the e85.

·
Can you prove it cabron?
361 Posts
I've run E85 in my flat on an N/A 540 EFI engine and have been happy with it. It doesn't take long before my twin 9gal tanks are empty though. It was pretty easy to get a decent tune with the stuff too. seems to be a little harder to find when I go out to our place in AZ. I assume there are places to get it in havasu?

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
Another main selling point for me was 105+ Octane fuel for about $1.60 a gallon compared to over $5 a gallon for AvGas and $7 on up for race fuel ? ....is a no Brainer swap :))THumbsUp

·
Retired Air Force
940 Posts
I've run E85 in my flat on an N/A 540 EFI engine and have been happy with it. It doesn't take long before my twin 9gal tanks are empty though. It was pretty easy to get a decent tune with the stuff too. seems to be a little harder to find when I go out to our place in AZ. I assume there are places to get it in havasu?
No E85 in Havasu

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Another main selling point for me was 105+ Octane fuel for about $1.60 a gallon compared to over $5 a gallon for AvGas and $7 on up for race fuel ? ....is a no Brainer swap :))THumbsUp
Where are you paying 5 a gal for avgas? Havent seen it that high in a couple yrs its under 3 a gal here. I was gna put methanol to the next tt ls im building but now that avgas took a huge dive im gna run it again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little more information would be helpful.
Is it blown, how will you use the boat (performance or cruising), is this a new motor, rebuild or using the motor you have now?

I use it in a blown flat and like it. I also have a slightly larger performance V-drive and would not use it for that boat.
I'd do the e85 again in the flat though.

Calculate the fuel you expect to use now and reduce the running time and or distance by 1/3. Does that work for how you use the boat?
You could put in larger tanks as an option, but that cancels any performance gains you would get from the e85.
Performance and cruising. New build. Prices are the big draw to using it.

Where are you at with your compression? Cam soecs?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
It doesn't take long before my twin 9 gal tanks are empty though.
I've gone 36 miles and used 16 gallons just cruising at 35 mph +-
I didn't think that was too bad.

On the dyno at 29# boost it looked like it used close to a gallon in 10 seconds.

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
Performance and cruising. New build. Prices are the big draw to using it.

Where are you at with your compression? Cam soecs?
My experience with e85 is, you probably don't save money using e85. While it does cost less initially, it also requires more fuel used for the same cruising distance.
You will not be able to find e85 at most marinas, if any. The ethanol absorbs water from the air and creates problems for long term use near water.
E85 does provide a fairly high octane for the money though, and makes a great inexpensive performance fuel.

If you are building an engine specifically with e85 in mind, it may be possible to get the fuel economy up to nearly match that of gasoline.
Most automobiles from the factory capable of using e85 are designed to run on pump gas (e10) and up to e85. To do that, there must be compromises made by the factory.
If the engine is somewhat made specifically for e85, those compromises don't have to be there, and it can be made more efficient.

I'd guess that most of us who use e85 are more interested in the performance portion, and accept that were not going very far when we start with 10 gallons of e85 and like to play.

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
I've gone 36 miles and used 16 gallons just cruising at 35 mph +-
I didn't think that was too bad.

On the dyno at 29# boost it looked like it used close to a gallon in 10 seconds.
Thanks UNCHAINED, you confirmed what I assumed was about correct.
I had thought near the 2 mpg wouldn't miss it far for cruising, and with a 10 gallon tank about 4-5 runs is all that I am comfortable with, and it's time to look for more fuel.
My guess is your turbo's are more efficient than my 14-71 and you also make more power, by quite a bit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I haul my own fuel so that's not really an issue. I fill a tank now so I guess I'd just be filling two. Lol
I think at 13 to 1 e85 is quite a bit cheaper than gas. I guess the real question is all things being equal well as they can be. What kind of power difference do you get at 13 to 1 with e85 over 10 to1 and super?

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
Where are you paying 5 a gal for avgas? Havent seen it that high in a couple yrs its under 3 a gal here. I was gna put methanol to the next tt ls im building but now that avgas took a huge dive im gna run it again.
Beeville Tx is $ 3.38 a gallon in CC Tx its $6.31 but it usually hangs in the 4.50 / 5.50 range

·
Banned
5,853 Posts
Well I haul my own fuel so that's not really an issue. I fill a tank now so I guess I'd just be filling two. Lol
I think at 13 to 1 e85 is quite a bit cheaper than gas. I guess the real question is all things being equal well as they can be. What kind of power difference do you get at 13 to 1 with e85 over 10 to1 and super?
If you need gas to accommodate 13.5 to 1 (race gas), then yes, e85 would be considerably cheaper overall. I was comparing it to pump gas such as 92-93 pump gas.
I'm unable to give you a comparable power gain with any certainty, but I would think it would be noticeable. Just the increase from 10 to 1 to 13.5 to 1 compression would give you a noticeable increase in power and torque using the appropriate fuel.
If you carry your own fuel, then the quantity of fuel issue is taken care of.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dig it. I run it in a twin turbo deal, non intercooled. I have two 20ish gallon tanks. Mines just a faster family boat though. I hadn't touched anything tune related or even pulled a plug out in almost 2 seasons. I torched a head last summer so I'm building a real engine for it now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ethanol's best quality, performance wise, is the chemical intercooling effect more than anything. Anything supercharged/turbo benefits noticeably from the cooler charge temps. The actual octane rating is only 100 or so. Most people believe it be higher because it is difficult to rattle an engine vs. gasoline. Something interesting is that with ethanol, as you richen lambda down into the "rich" ranges you see a good bit less power drop off as you would doing the same thing with gasoline.

It takes around 34% more fuel with E85. I take 3 jugs of fuel to the river, what I don't burn in the boat ends up in the truck. I prefer it over any gasoline in most cases. I'd rather grab $1.60 fuel out of a pump, than track down pales of race gas at 10 or 15 bucks a gallon. I spend pennies on the dollar for fuel vs. using gasoline.

Obviously, I doubt it is a great upgrade to your pontoon boat, or other boat where performance isn't the primary goal. :))THumbsUp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts