Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago I ordered an Eagle crank thru my machinist. It was supposed to a 4340 forged, int bal, 4.25 stroke. 6 months later it finnally shows up(paid up front lika dumb ass) its marked 4140 onthe first counter weight. I cant find any info on a 4140 eagle crank. Am I getting a POS crank??? I also found out this crank is not first hand like I paid for.:mad: So what is a 4140 crank??

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
It is either a very old Eagle Crank or another mfg's crank in an eagle box.

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is new. Found out its a yardsale crank thru the grapevine. My machinist is tryin to pass it off as the one I ordered. I paid full 4340 price.:mad: This really sucks.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,208 Posts
Eagle has not made that crank for quite a while now.
I have one in a 496 that runs pretty hard in a Sanger, but if you paid for the 4340, make sure you GET the 4340!!!
The 4130 was much less expensive when they WERE made. Make SURE you get that discount! Is the crank still brand new?

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
x2 everyone else said...

Though the 4130 is not a bad part and as long as it checks out (being that it is second... third.. or whatever hand and who knows how long it's been bouncing around) it's still better than 5140 or cast ... but it ain't what you paid for so home-dude either needs to send some of you cash back your way to make up the difference or just take it back and give you your money back so you can get what you want.

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,811 Posts
Is there any way to tell a int balance from an external?

It's not sure fire but usually internally balanced 4.25" strokers have center conterweights. I don't have a comparison pic to post but a standard 454 ext balance crank just has the journals in the center.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
all eagle cranks for bbc are technically external balance becuase the rear flywheel flange is counterweighted. dude, i'd be fighting pissed if i paid for a 4340 and got that:):)punch

·
21' Liberator Jet
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all eagle cranks for bbc are technically external balance becuase the rear flywheel flange is counterweighted. dude, i'd be fighting pissed if i paid for a 4340 and got that:):)punch
I am. This guy has been doing work for my family for 25+ years, and he decieds to try and break it off in me.:mad: If this crank is up to the job, I may just run it, if not I will sell it, cut my loses and get another one. This weekend I am going to pick up all my chit. Dont want to give him another chance to fist phuck me again. I am currently researhing other shops in the area. This boat may never get wet:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
all 4340 forgedeagle cranks for bbc are technically external balance becuase the rear flywheel flange is counterweighted. dude, i'd be fighting pissed if i paid for a 4340 and got that:):)punch
Just a little correction to your post. They don't claim their cast cranks to be "internally" balanced. Who knows what the 4130 cranks are. Your right, they are technically externally balanced, but in a effort not to be to picky or confusing, I refer to them as "neutral balanced." Ever seen the lamb chop hanging off the 4.5". I thought someone had already bolted a flywheel to the thing:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Just a little correction to your post. They don't claim their cast cranks to be "internally" balanced. Who knows what the 4130 cranks are. Your right, they are technically externally balanced, but in a effort not to be to picky or confusing, I refer to them as "neutral balanced." Ever seen the lamb chop hanging off the 4.5". I thought someone had already bolted a flywheel to the thing:D
Pork chop, not lamb chop.
Jeez...:D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
shit, the weight on the 4.25 cranks are pretty big back there. i've got a fairly new 10/10 4340 eagle 4.25 crank that's balanced for 4.310 je flattops and eagle hbeam rods for sale with a big ole pork chop on it, the twin turbo motor bent it alil, took 10-10 to straighten it up:p can't remember if the callies that we stuck back into that motor had anything hangin off the back, didn't ever think to look.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts