Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boat Vehicle Water transportation Skiff Speedboat
i have a 76 kona needs paint bad previous owner painted over the gel with out prep so its coming off like crazy and looks like poo.. im wanting to prime it and shoot it but i dont want to have to take the motor out and flip it .. is there a nother option..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
View attachment 45858 i have a 76 kona needs paint bad previous owner painted over the gel with out prep so its coming off like crazy and looks like poo.. im wanting to prime it and shoot it but i dont want to have to take the motor out and flip it .. is there a nother option..
Chain fall stand the nose straight up You need a building with tall cielings, do the frt 1/2 then just raist the back 5 to 8 ft when your done with the front. Speed coat the back 1/2 black !!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm no expert but I would imagine that you could lift it via the bow eye and the engine with 2 cherry pickers(engine lifts), pull the trailer out from under it, tape up the top, prep the bottom, and shoot it from underneath. Might need a gun that accepts the disposable bags to paint at that angle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have done this.......If you can get your hands on an A frame with a 2 ton chain hoist, get two large straps and lift, placing one strap at the rear and the other just forward of the dash. This should keep you close to balanced.......Adjust as needed, p/u and pull out the trailer. Then get some cinder blocks and a couple of 4"x4"' beams. I notched my beams to cradle the keel of the boat so it did not roll to one side. Then prep and gel. Once you are done you might have to move the boat to expose the two contact points where it sat on the beams and shoot them. It took one day to prep and shoot, I let it dry for two days and put her back on the trailer. Still great several years later.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
get a bucket of paint and a roller. go to the lake and tell the wife you need her help and have her get in the water . give her the roller with paint on it and do a couple passed over her and wa la. acomplished 2 things got to have fun and bottom painted. lol naaa if the boats empty roll it over its easy

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Life will be much easier if you just roll it! 5 guys, 6 tires and a case of coors light!
a couple of chicks will not hurt either, what guy looks lazy when a good looking broad is around?:D
be smarter than your friends!

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Great call, Todd! Absolutely true.

Just don't be real sure about the bow eye. Rarely is there enough backing behind it to take the full weight.
on an older hull, I would not trust it, (Dont know what year your hull is!)
the 2X4 with a strap of mat over it-under the bow, doesn't have all of my trust new or old boat! and my theory is, why take a chance of the boat falling to its demise, when you could have a much less stressful time and enjoy beers and chicks? well definitely beers anyway! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.