Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Im runnin a 600 shipped set a turbos and its making insane power.i went from turning 7K on 20lbs with a brand named s480 single to twin on3performance twins turning 7300 loaded well at 14lbs on detailed b :) i cant say nuff about them they plain work :)

Bbc id go with vsracing.com gt45's with proper turbine ar to match your motor needs

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I've heard some good and some bad about import turbo's.
To me it's not so much a factor that the imports are so much cheaper, it's that the American made units are not all that expensive in the first place.

The cost of an off the shelf 75mm Borg Warner the size several of us are using is about $ 625. and that size will support 1000 hp
On the Detroit Diesel 60 series that runs the 75mm Borg Warner turbo those turbo's run for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Their proven and durable. Parts are easily available.
That is not an overwhelming expensive part relative to the rest of the engine and boat assembly.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
S475's are good turbs dont get me wrong cuz i do like them but they are too much turbo for most guys here which ends up a laggy setup.why run 1000hp turbos to make 1200-1400? Proper sized turbos wld spool so much quicker and be in peak . id spend the money on increasing headflow either by the cam or headwork before id overspend on more turbo than needed.ive got 1200hp worth of turbs now compared to 1400 worth and the results are blowing me away so far and i dont credit it all due to single vs twins.the cam change that peaks above 7k instead of blowing past the lil cams peak by 500rpms.im finally building power where i can use it.peak power at peak rpm is the ticket :) what good is 1400 if its at 6k and a boat runs at 7k? blowing past peak power with turbos is a prob i see and its not being addressed.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is an interesting discussion to be sure. I have some Rayjays I am looking to put new seals etc on, and just weighing all the options, but I would like to stick to a t04 and would love to do draw thru for another couple years before making the leap to blow thru or FI. I own a bus company, so I 'get' the BW argument.

I've heard some good and some bad about import turbo's.
To me it's not so much a factor that the imports are so much cheaper, it's that the American made units are not all that expensive in the first place.

The cost of an off the shelf 75mm Borg Warner the size several of us are using is about $ 625. and that size will support 1000 hp
On the Detroit Diesel 60 series that runs the 75mm Borg Warner turbo those turbo's run for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Their proven and durable. Parts are easily available.
That is not an overwhelming expensive part relative to the rest of the engine and boat assembly.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Im runnin a 600 shipped set a turbos and its making insane power.i went from turning 7K on 20lbs with a brand named s480 single to twin on3performance twins turning 7300 loaded well at 14lbs on detailed b :) i cant say nuff about them they plain work :)

Bbc id go with vsracing.com gt45's with proper turbine ar to match your motor needs
How did she do this past weekend? What's your overall impression of the new set up?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Its making stupid power now seth lol way more than i expected from these turbos. so far the difference is nite and day.i ran a few passes at 14lbs this wknd and it banged my limiter at 7400 around 500ft into each pass :( i changed nothing hardware or pump wise and now the boat is just processing more thru the pump since im making power where i use it ;) my cam peaks at 7200 so it looks like im gna be ditching the methanol completely and be on pumpgas 91 alone :) itll do well at 16lbs on pumpgas so why run it any harder? @ 14lbs its making wayyy more power than my single setup did near 20lb and 7k same boat/pump setup nothing changed... right cam, right turbos for me woke up my boat. i added almost 50lbs to the boat but picked up so much power where i use it that now im fightn a loading issue.lite boat big lite power has its own drawbacks. im stoked with my cheap turbos that came with same warranty my expensive ones have.
the vsracing.com gt45's are proven turbos, google search it and youll see the many forum reviews.

last trip out summer 2013 108 900ft 6900rpms 18-19lbs
first trip out summer 2014 112 500ft 7300rpms 14lbs ( around 500ft id see rpms climb and feel/hear limiter banging 7400)
id say its runnin better :) time for impellor change and 16lbs at 7200, sell the a.i.s. system.im gna build a forged 5.7 pretty soon also, keep it same compression and shld pick up nearly 100hp more,im making well over 3hp per ci now so just adding cubes is gna put me over 1100hp :) gta like that on pumpgas gtn boost from cheap turbs. the entire engine program ill have less than 5k in after buildng a forged shortblock.i expect the new mill to last yrs...

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
They know the turbos and they know what theyll support. if your hp goals are met by 69mm then id stick with it.too big a turbo and itll be laggy to small a turbine wont rpm for shit.its all about finding that happy medium that flows what ya need into the intake and what exhaust turbine will let it out efficiently. I know alot of ls guys run the 69mm as well up to 325ci.double that ci for twins and youre at 650ci and not cramming 8cyls thru 1 ;)

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Its making stupid power now seth lol way more than i expected from these turbos. so far the difference is nite and day.i ran a few passes at 14lbs this wknd and it banged my limiter at 7400 around 500ft into each pass :( i changed nothing hardware or pump wise and now the boat is just processing more thru the pump since im making power where i use it ;) my cam peaks at 7200 so it looks like im gna be ditching the methanol completely and be on pumpgas 91 alone :) itll do well at 16lbs on pumpgas so why run it any harder? @ 14lbs its making wayyy more power than my single setup did near 20lb and 7k same boat/pump setup nothing changed... right cam, right turbos for me woke up my boat. i added almost 50lbs to the boat but picked up so much power where i use it that now im fightn a loading issue.lite boat big lite power has its own drawbacks. im stoked with my cheap turbos that came with same warranty my expensive ones have.
the vsracing.com gt45's are proven turbos, google search it and youll see the many forum reviews.

last trip out summer 2013 108 900ft 6900rpms 18-19lbs
first trip out summer 2014 112 500ft 7300rpms 14lbs ( around 500ft id see rpms climb and feel/hear limiter banging 7400)
id say its runnin better :) time for impellor change and 16lbs at 7200, sell the a.i.s. system.im gna build a forged 5.7 pretty soon also, keep it same compression and shld pick up nearly 100hp more,im making well over 3hp per ci now so just adding cubes is gna put me over 1100hp :) gta like that on pumpgas gtn boost from cheap turbs. the entire engine program ill have less than 5k in after buildng a forged shortblock.i expect the new mill to last yrs...
That's awesome. Glad to hear good results. Anxious to see some pics of the new set-up and video of it running :))THumbsUp

Tmoore, can't wait to hear about your ride set up similarly. Gonna do it?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Its only been ran under boost 1 day.runnin it on the limiter too much hurt a lifter i think.dealing with selling my place and wont have time to mess with again till later this mnth.may not even fix the 5.3, may jus turn it into forged 5.7 & call it done, turn off the limiter lol i never moved its setting from last season and it bit me in da asssss :)

Tim u thinkn bout turbs on the twin ls's?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well... I want to do something i'm just not sure what. I really like it being as reliable as it has the last couple years (knock on wood!! This boat was never reliable with the outboards) It runs over 100 and starts everytime. I know if I put turbos on it i will keep turning them up until it's not reliable. I have no self control there...

I've been thinking about just turning them into 5.7s and do heads and cams, but I'm not sure when. It seems like my kids get more expensive everyday. This seasons boat budget went to braces and a NYC/DC trip for my daughter.

I also tried my hand at rebuilding my turbonetics turbo off my 69 Camaro, that didn't seem to work out very well. First time in boost it exploded then locked up.
It gets replaced before the boat gets more goodies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its only been ran under boost 1 day.runnin it on the limiter too much hurt a lifter i think.dealing with selling my place and wont have time to mess with again till later this mnth.may not even fix the 5.3, may jus turn it into forged 5.7 & call it done, turn off the limiter lol i never moved its setting from last season and it bit me in da asssss :)

That thing was on the limiter a LOT Saturday... hope it's not bad.

My limiters are set at 6000 and with my other props it still pulls to 6200 and i run it there quite a bit. No boost though and they don't seem to mind, yet.

Saturday was the first time I ran a set of 4 blade 32's and it was a dog. I don't think my motors have quite enough nuts for them. I couldn't break them loose to get on plane so it took a long time to plane, then on the smooth water at Hugo I ran out of lake at 91MPH climing slowly. 29 3 blades are going back on until some motor work.

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts

I have a nice 383 twin turbo project that I would sell ya if you want to go old school SBC.:hmmm:

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
. I know if I put turbos on it i will keep turning them up until it's not reliable. I have no self control there...
LOL that's exactly how it goes !

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
LOL that's exactly how it goes !
Lol yes sir!

Ron it aint hurt or anything and wont cost but a grand to turn it into a forged 5.7 ;) ill lay 16-18lbs to it and no more.im thinkn 16-17 will turn a-cut 7200 & call it good.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts