Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to drop between $500 and $750 for some boat bling - gauge bezels, light bezels, stereo remote bezels, trash chute bezel (for deck boat), push/pull knobs, and other assorted bezels, etc. and want them all powdercoated orange.

Unfortunately, Eddie Marine doesn't have everything I need - Dana Marine Products does but their price is higher. I found the depth gauge I wanted from Eddie Marine and told them I would like to get some parts but wanted to ensure the powder coating matched between the two manufacturers (Eddie and Dana). I asked for the powder coat code (they all have them, it's like a paint code) and the guy said it was proprietary. Really? So you are going to let $$$ walk because you won't provide a powder coat code. He said I could order the parts from the other manufacturer, ship these parts to them, and they would powdercoat them for a charge. Well that pretty much negates any savings I may have gotten by purchasing from them. So I guess they don't really need the business.

So much for customer service......

RexOne - can you powder coat in Orange and can you get parts from Dana as they are the only provider for some of the parts I want?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
So I am looking to drop between $500 and $750 for some boat bling - gauge bezels, light bezels, stereo remote bezels, trash chute bezel (for deck boat), push/pull knobs, and other assorted bezels, etc. and want them all powdercoated orange.

Unfortunately, Eddie Marine doesn't have everything I need - Dana Marine Products does but their price is higher. I found the depth gauge I wanted from Eddie Marine and told them I would like to get some parts but wanted to ensure the powder coating matched between the two manufacturers (Eddie and Dana). I asked for the powder coat code (they all have them, it's like a paint code) and the guy said it was proprietary. Really? So you are going to let $$$ walk because you won't provide a powder coat code. He said I could order the parts from the other manufacturer, ship these parts to them, and they would powdercoat them for a charge. Well that pretty much negates any savings I may have gotten by purchasing from them. So I guess they don't really need the business.

So much for customer service......

RexOne - can you powder coat in Orange and can you get parts from Dana as they are the only provider for some of the parts I want?
When I rerigged the Warlock...I got what parts I wanted from Eddie and some from Dana..took all the parts to a powdercoating place and got all parts the color I wanted..just order everything polished..no color..

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
Yes, we're a distributor for Dana and can likely have them coat everything you want, our parts, their parts, combination, whatever.

If we have to send to outside coater there is a min charge that is likely higher than you will want to pay for just a few parts. Give us a call and ask for Brian and we'll see what we need to do. (We don't powder coat in-house).

We also handle Faria, not just Autometer. Faria has some pretty nice depth gauges. Faria Marine Gauges and Instruments: Automotive Performance Products, Boat & Marine Parts & Hardware

We do not distribute Eddie parts.

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I rerigged the Warlock...I got what parts I wanted from Eddie and some from Dana..took all the parts to a powdercoating place and got all parts the color I wanted..just order everything polished..no color..
Obviously that is an option - however the price from the suppliers is the same regardless if it is powdered or polished. So I would rather have them do it and be done with it rather than jacking with the cost plus the time to get it done locally.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Ya. I can feel ya. I was looking for somethings a few weeks ago. Only one who would help me was Tom at Jetboat preformance. He busted his azz to get me my stuff. Was very saddening that our sponsors would not help me.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
If Rex can't assist you; call JC at Eddie and he will take care of you. He is a great guy and always follows through.

·
08 Lighting Custom Boat
869 Posts
Yeah I am not sure that these two colors will ever match from the two manufacturers...
Wow!! that looks different, but could also be the pic. Buy the parts you need from one place and then buy the rest from the other place and have them powder the parts you bought from the other place so all your parts done at the same place. No matter which way you go they are both good, fast, and reasonable price. Good luck:)

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
One more thing to add, my orange stuff is fading pretty bad especially at the ski-tow like the one you pictured... my polished purple stuff still looks pretty new.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
One more thing to add, my orange stuff is fading pretty bad especially at the ski-tow like the one you pictured... my polished purple stuff still looks pretty new.
My Magic had orange powdercoat everywhere, it was horrible, it faded ,cracked, Hazed and generally turned to shit, done by PowdercoatPlus as I was told. Magic removed all pieces and had them polished, looked so much better and timeless IMO.

In my dealings with Eddies I found they had some real CS problems
NSF

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Magic had orange powdercoat everywhere, it was horrible, it faded ,cracked, Hazed and generally turned to shit, done by PowdercoatPlus as I was told. Magic removed all pieces and had them polished, looked so much better and timeless IMO. In my dealings with Eddies I found they had some real CS problemsNSF
Well that doesn't sound good - how long did it take for them to go bad? I wonder if yellow is any better? As my boat is orange and yellow?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Well that doesn't sound good - how long did it take for them to go bad? I wonder if yellow is any better? As my boat is orange and yellow?
That was back in 04 and it almost immediately hazed and cracked, they said it was condusive to the orange almost exclusively with a few exceptions. IMHO powdercoating in color has run its course, you will get tired of it sooner or later, but that's just me. I would do the DCB pewter color but that's about it. Polished S.S. is hard to beat. Good luck
NSF

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
That was back in 04 and it almost immediately hazed and cracked, they said it was condusive to the orange almost exclusively with a few exceptions. IMHO powdercoating in color has run its course, you will get tired of it sooner or later, but that's just me. I would do the DCB pewter color but that's about it. Polished S.S. is hard to beat. Good luck
NSF
PS Now I dont care obviously, look at my sig pix LOL

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I have parts from Lightning, Hardin, Rex, Dana, IMCO, Eddie and some custom fabbed ones on my boat. Dana is the only one that offers my color. Dana's powdercoating prices were a little steep so I bought what I needed in either raw (unfinished) or polished and just took it all to a Powder Coating when I was re-rigging my boat. Embee performance does great work and has something like over 500 colors.

I understand its a little fusturating buy hey, its a custom boat right? Anything custom is going to be a pain in the ass! just deal with it, the reward it always worth it when its done.

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I was out on the boat today and I think I have decided to keep everything in the cockpit polished. I am afraid that the orange maybe too over the top and make things look a little trashy.... plus it saves me some money as I won't be needing gauge bezels.

So what's the story with polished - do I have to keep it polished? With the polished tilt helm and the chrome/platnuim Autometer gauges, a few more polished bits with compliment the interior of the boat.

How about the clear anodized - will it experience the same issues as the red anodized that I had on my other boat where the colored layer started flaking off - underneath looked like some galvanic corrosion although gell was under it and gauges where on top of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts