Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I have a offer from a friend to buy a holley marine 850 double pumper already been rebuilt and bolt on ready for $160 or should I keep the edelbrock 1410 I already have, I don't know much about carbs so I really don't know if this edelbrock I have is working to its full potential, I bought it off eBay used and just bolted it on. This is on a 460 pretty much stock inside from what I know or have seen it has dove c heads it will have weiand stealth intake, I think it has a upgraded cam from stock. Pertronix dizzy, Holley electric fuel pump and I have fuel pressure set at 7 psi is that to much fuel pressure. I get about 48 mph in a heavy ass sleekcraft executive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your boat is running just fine, maybe you should leave well enough alone! You will most likely not see much of a gain and just burn more fuel. Some upgrades to marine engines don't make much differance. But this is only my opinion!
You should look up some info on how to read your spark plugs. the residue on the tips can tell you if you are running rich or lean or in between. Lean is not good!

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Why don't you just try the carb on your boat first? If he's a friend, he certainly would let you. Now if your boat miraculously goes 5 mph faster, he'll probably raise the price! lol Jocko

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm no expert on the subject but that plug don't look bad but it's hard to tell from a picture. As far as I know, very light or white carbon means your running lean. Very black and sooty means too rich and a medium brown is good as long as your running the correct plugs.
I would rather run my engine too rich than too lean!

355 Posts
Stick with the edelbrock, the 850 would be too much carb for that motor the way it is built.. it is very easy to over carb a motor (especially a big block ford). the 750 is probrably a little too much but if it works just stick with it..

·
Registered
317 Posts
edelbrock carbs are the old carters or a spin off of them IMO a holly is 10X better i can tell the differnts between the two when i tryed edelbrock on street cars an boats holly is the way to go if the 850 is a little on the fat side jet it down tell u get nice almond brown plugs or go with a 750 holly there is all kinds of holly models the is the HP. dominator. street series . marine series you dont have to run the marine series it just has the over flow going back into the barrels

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's a first that I've ever heard def. A 750 being to much for a 460. The motor is getting rebuilt this winter with some upgrades.

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With that edelbrock I'm using now I have fuel set at 7 psi should I adjust it to 5.5 or 6 or is 7 cool.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I've had it at 7 psi all summer do u think it hurt anything inside the carb.
I doubt it. If anything it made the float level alittle high and made it run a little richer than it should have.

This from Edelbrocks tuning manual.

The function of your Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor is also dependent on several external devices; the fuel pump and air cleaner.
Fuel Pumps and Pressure: Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi.
With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be
required.
Always use a filter, such as Edelbrock #8873 between the pump and carburetor. Note that a good filter is large in area, so it may be able to transmit a significant amount of heat to the fuel.
It is a good practice to keep the filter away from heat and not allow it to come in contact with any part of the engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. Thanks guys. Would a tuning kit do me any good performance wise or get rid of hesitation, cause at about mid throttle as I'm getting to wot there's a little hesitation and a small backfire but once I get past mid throttle it rides smooth and strong.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just Another Payment:1690065 said:
Stick with the edelbrock, the 850 would be too much carb for that motor the way it is built.. it is very easy to over carb a motor (especially a big block ford). the 750 is probrably a little too much but if it works just stick with it..
Oh snap, so do you think the Barry Grant 850 dp I run on my 377 is too big? :)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Cool. Thanks guys. Would a tuning kit do me any good performance wise or get rid of hesitation, cause at about mid throttle as I'm getting to wot there's a little hesitation and a small backfire but once I get past mid throttle it rides smooth and strong.
I am thinking you either need to take that carb to somebody that knows what they are doing, or try your friends 850 Holley. The more you post, the worse this carb gets. There appears to be something seriously wrong with that carb.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 25 Posts