Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't recall coming across any EFI jet boats on this forum. Everybody has carburetors. Even on the racing jet boats. Is there a reason for this? I always figured fuel injection was better on boats because of all the bouncing around and everything. Plus it gets better fuel economy and is more efficient for the engine. My dream boat, is a jet boat with a fabricated intake manifold and an EFI system, and a twin turbo setup. But, I've even seen carbureted twin turbo setups, which was something I had never seen before I came to this site. Why no EFI systems on jet boats? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
There are tons of boats out there with EFI. The mass majority of them being the newer boats. There are also quite a few with mechanical fuel injection like the hilborne setups ect. I prefer carb's over EFI because water and electronics don't mix. My boat sits low enough it the water that I get some coming over every now and then, I just wouldn't want to have more electronics to worry about than I have to. As for EFI getting better mileage than Carbs, thats highly debatable. EFI's have a tendency to get better mileage because the owner can sit down with a lap top and program in a better fuel curve. It takes more tinkering and know how to setup a carb the right way. My carbs get excellent fuel mileage. :D

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There are tons of boats out there with EFI. The mass majority of them being the newer boats. There are also quite a few with mechanical fuel injection like the hilborne setups ect. I prefer carb's over EFI because water and electronics don't mix. My boat sits low enough it the water that I get some coming over every now and then, I just wouldn't want to have more electronics to worry about than I have to. As for EFI getting better mileage than Carbs, thats highly debatable. EFI's have a tendency to get better mileage because the owner can sit down with a lap top and program in a better fuel curve. It takes more tinkering and know how to setup a carb the right way. My carbs get excellent fuel mileage. :D
I know the big boats all have them. I'm only talking about small boats, like jets and V's with custom EFI systems. I'm just curious because I've grown up with fuel injection. The only carbureted vehicles I've driven are old farm trucks. Oh yeah, and fork lifts. Thanks.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I can't recall coming across any EFI jet boats on this forum. Everybody has carburetors. Even on the racing jet boats. Is there a reason for this? I always figured fuel injection was better on boats because of all the bouncing around and everything. Plus it gets better fuel economy and is more efficient for the engine. My dream boat, is a jet boat with a fabricated intake manifold and an EFI system, and a twin turbo setup. But, I've even seen carbureted twin turbo setups, which was something I had never seen before I came to this site. Why no EFI systems on jet boats? Thank you.
I've been running EFI and twin turbos for years.
I've been real happy with it and would never go any other way.
Lots to learn about it to put the system together. Not a system for someone who doesn't want to read up and study the ins and outs of it. Some computer knowledge is good too.

You can get a nice Edelbrock manifold that is EFI ready with fuel rails. I just got a new one for a tall deck block. $ 350.00

I have my old one for sale for $ 150.00

As far as water and electronics not mixing ...... never had a problem. They are all weathertite connectors. I guess if you sunk the boat it may not like it though.

The only carbureted vehicles I've driven are old farm trucks.
Sorry, I just couldn't resist...........LOL

Attachments

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
We are in the middle of taking the efi of one of our turbo setups and putting on a carb. Proven fact that carbs have far better drivability than efi.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, I've seen that and it looks fricken sweet!:)devil I love the stacks!

But here's one thing I don't understand. How do the MFI's work? And how is that system any different than a Carburetor? Because all a carburetor is, is a mechanical method for injecting fuel and air into the engine. Right?:)Unsure

Thanks.

Proven fact that carbs have far better drivability than efi.
Maybe on a boat. But, not if you're talking about my little drive about car. I can't make that thing quit. Gets 30 mpg too.:)devil

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True, I am talking about 8-900hp pump gas setups.
I am too. That was just a little brain fart.

But, I would think that at those hp's, EFI would be better because it can spray an atomized mix of gas and air directly into the cylinder heads. Whereas a carburetor just dumps it into the cylinder heads. But I don't know, that's why I started this thread.:)sphss Thanks.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of electonics mean lots of wire... this means lots of purple zip ties:D
That's only on your boat.:D Mine boat only sees the black ones.:|err

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im guessing that the money spent on efi and the hassle/time to get it dialed in wouldnt be worth it. I personally would like to do it but I like the simplicity of a nice carb motor. A properly tuned carb will do pretty good on power and mpg. Im running a spreadbore double pumper holley with mechanical secondaries and I get the best mileage and similar power running against some buds with the same boat. I can also stay out of the secondaries and still stay on plane when just cruising around.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
269 Posts
HJ,
I think you stated you are a machinist. So the fabrication part would not be that expensive. It is the other stuff and not the intake/fuel rails that nickle and dime you to death. Like injectors, ECU, sensors, wire harness, fuel pump, lines and dyno time with a good tuner. I know you have seen my project. I am going to finish it later this Summer and try to get it ready for the last run in Oct.. I do not want to take my boat out of use to complete my EFI 8-71 set up for the Summer. I just want to have some fun an put some more time on it.
T.J.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts