Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I've got electric "pusher" pumps that feed the Merc mech set up. Mine are mounted low on the srtinger to help them draw fuel up from the tanks.

Darrell.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Best place is dependant on where your fuel tank(s) are. I have gunnel mounted fuel tanks in my boat with a tank selector switch. I mounted my fuel pump low, behind the rear motor plate near the jet intake. My pump will not prime from either tank, even when the tanks are full. Once the pump is primed however, this works just fine.

I am thinlking about dumping the selector switch, buying another check valve and pump and mounting the pumps low and as close to the tanks as possible. Maybe this will help with the priming issue. My only other choice is to buy 2 submersible pumps and put them inside the tanks themselves.

·
Got Circus Midgets???
1,734 Posts
Bigamist - thats a nice setup, where did you get that?

It's from cpperformance, there are some nice billet ones out there also....but i can't find the website.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Best place is dependant on where your fuel tank(s) are. I have gunnel mounted fuel tanks in my boat with a tank selector switch. I mounted my fuel pump low, behind the rear motor plate near the jet intake. My pump will not prime from either tank, even when the tanks are full. Once the pump is primed however, this works just fine.

I am thinlking about dumping the selector switch, buying another check valve and pump and mounting the pumps low and as close to the tanks as possible. Maybe this will help with the priming issue. My only other choice is to buy 2 submersible pumps and put them inside the tanks themselves.
Thats what I did, I used the Aeromotive A1000, I haven't tested it yet
but according to Aeromotive it will work better in the tank than out.

I have a 100 micron filter a A1000 pump and a check in each tank
and my tank selector switches the return fuel and power to the fuel pump
relays

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
Mines mounted on the stringer.

Attachments

·
No Sandbar To Far
3,276 Posts
I'm pulling from both tanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Im running a bypass style system with the A1000 and bypass regulator. I am drawing off boat tanks at once, return line goes back to separator. Works perfectly. I do have a manual tank switch valve, but never use it.
I just bought another motor mount, drilled and tapped the motor on, and used longer bolts through the stringer so I didn't have to alter the boat.
Might be overkill, but the pump is heavy and don't want it coming loose/leaking fuel:))eek:))

Attachments

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im running a bypass style system with the A1000 and bypass regulator. I am drawing off boat tanks at once, return line goes back to separator. Works perfectly. I do have a manual tank switch valve, but never use it.
I just bought another motor mount, drilled and tapped the motor on, and used longer bolts through the stringer so I didn't have to alter the boat.
Might be overkill, but the pump is heavy and don't want it coming loose/leaking fuel:))eek:))
Very cool set up.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Im getting some great ideas.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Going to an electric pump. Im looking for some ideas of where to mount it. What did you fellas do?
What size pump and how much power are you feeding ?

I run two Holley 150's Black pump's with a three way switch. I can run either left , right or both pump's. They are mounted to the transom with a pad that is screwed to the transom. They are mounted to the 3/4" thick mounting pad one each side of the boat.

A single Holley 150 feed's the 565 at 6,200 off the Nos and at 6,900 on the Nos no problem. If you are running big HP run -8 line's in and out of the pump.

These pumps run continuously for very long periods of time.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you are going to be running a vane style pump which is typical of BG, MagnaFuel, Product Engineering and many others, you need to mount it low. These are great pumps that will supply big hp, however they are pushers and will not self prime. You need to mount it below tank/tanks. If you have tanks with a dip tube and the fuel line is connected to the top of the tank, good luck with that. Typically speaking the vane pumps will not self prime in that situation. I installed a new Imco side saddle in my flat with a Product Engineering pump. The Imco had only a 3/8 siphon tube so I welded a 3/4" bung on the bottom back of the tank. Fuel flows out of the tank into the pump, gravity. Pump is slammed as low as I could to the floor. You wanna see some trick chit, go to the Product Engineering website. The guy has been in the fuel business for over 20 years and really knows his stuff. I think his name is John, and he loves to talk and share his knowledge. Best of luck to you!;)

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What size pump and how much power are you feeding ?

I run two Holley 150's Black pump's with a three way switch. I can run either left , right or both pump's. They are mounted to the transom with a pad that is screwed to the transom. They are mounted to the 3/4" thick mounting pad one each side of the boat.

A single Holley 150 feed's the 565 at 6,200 off the Nos and at 6,900 on the Nos no problem. If you are running big HP run -8 line's in and out of the pump.

These pumps run continuously for very long periods of time.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

Im going to run the Aeromotive 11203 Street/Strip Pump with a regulator ar 7-8psi.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are going to be running a vane style pump which is typical of BG, MagnaFuel, Product Engineering and many others, you need to mount it low. These are great pumps that will supply big hp, however they are pushers and will not self prime. You need to mount it below tank/tanks. If you have tanks with a dip tube and the fuel line is connected to the top of the tank, good luck with that. Typically speaking the vane pumps will not self prime in that situation. I installed a new Imco side saddle in my flat with a Product Engineering pump. The Imco had only a 3/8 siphon tube so I welded a 3/4" bung on the bottom back of the tank. Fuel flows out of the tank into the pump, gravity. Pump is slammed as low as I could to the floor. You wanna see some trick chit, go to the Product Engineering website. The guy has been in the fuel business for over 20 years and really knows his stuff. I think his name is John, and he loves to talk and share his knowledge. Best of luck to you!;)
I really thought about running one of those but as I have a tunnel hull and my tanks sit really lol, I dont know if I can get the pump down for enough.

Thanks for the tip, Ill go check out the site.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My Aeromotive pump is above the top of the tanks, and the fuel draws from the top of the tank pickup. The pump has no trouble priming, it will suck the proverbial golf ball through a garden hose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts