Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long has yours been working? I'm going on about 4 years before mine has taken a dump. Just trying to get a feel as how long these last?

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Monrovia in the House
411 Posts
How long has yours been working? I'm going on about 4 years before mine has taken a dump. Just trying to get a feel as how long these last?
I thought mine took a dump...but all i had to do was add the relays... works better then when i bought my boat in 05....BTW 2forcefull started a thread on this and thats how i found out about the relays......Thanks 2forcefull:)devil

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't want to say anything to junx it.:D
You just appearing in this thread I thunk junx it.:)st

I thought mine took a dump...but all i had to do was add the relays... works better then when i bought my boat in 05....BTW 2forcefull started a thread on this and thats how i found out about the relays......Thanks 2forcefull:)devil
I may have to give Steve a call. Maybe he has a one for sale.:D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
if it isn't made by Danaher/Thompson it probably isn't any good...

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
The relay units extend the life of these motors. Normally when they fail (excluding water submersion) it is because of operating at low voltage over time, strains the motors. Stock wiring on many boats runs full amperage to the dash and back with a small wire. These motors under load require between 15 and 30 amps depending on the model and the weight of the hatch being lifted. The run to the dash and back is not a good deal unless you are running 10 gauge wire which few boats do (did). I have relay units if you are in need. They solve most issues with these motors running slowly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They should last longer than that.. What is it doing?

RD
To simply put it, it's not moving up as I hit the switch or doing anything for that matter. It stopped working over Memorial weekend and I just removed the pin to open the hatch. I haven't had the time to really isolate the problem to see if it is actually the ram itself. I'll be doing that this weekend.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
The relay units extend the life of these motors. Normally when they fail (excluding water submersion) it is because of operating at low voltage over time, strains the motors. Stock wiring on many boats runs full amperage to the dash and back with a small wire. These motors under load require between 15 and 30 amps depending on the model and the weight of the hatch being lifted. The run to the dash and back is not a good deal unless you are running 10 gauge wire which few boats do (did). I have relay units if you are in need. They solve most issues with these motors running slowly.
do you have a relay for single ram???

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
do you have a relay for single ram???
Yes I should have in stock. $45-47 range. I will try to get a pic up in my mfg forum later on today. I shot one just can't find it at the moment. :p

(For dual rams you just use 2 relay units.)

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Even if you run 10 gauge wire, the switches and the connections on the switches aren't designed for the correct amperage.

The relay is a better way to wire it IMO. 99 percent of what I've seen doesn't have one however.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
Even if you run 10 gauge wire, the switches and the connections on the switches aren't designed for the correct amperage.

The relay is a better way to wire it IMO. 99 percent of what I've seen doesn't have one however.
100% of the boat I've own'd never had them

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My boat is a 1990 with the original ram .Switch on the dash , relays in the engine compartment.The ram should last a long time like a starter on a car when properly wired.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here's a simple diagram to make your own , or just buy Rex' box:)bulb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts