Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Real Cool

What a find Tom. How did you come across this one?? Be anxious to see it run. When it is ready to test, let me know and I will meet you at the lake.
I gave Troy a good first ride in a flat. I think he left finger prints embedded in the grab handles. I also took 14 year old Carlos Munguia, one of my Scouts and he is also part of my pit crew for a ride and then let him drive. The second ride I gave him we ran against Donnies Blown Jet and he asked me to take him back to the dock? Little much I guess. If I get your way, I'll stop by to see the new ride.
Denis:)devil:)devil

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
This must be the month !, picked up a 14 year "barn" stored Miller last week and started on this (partial resto) yesterday This 74' Emken runner hasn't seen daylite in 8 years according to the owner, the boats a little dirty and "worn" but near perfect anybody have any history looks a lot like a Hondo to me (struts got a 007 stamp too) I had a small thread I found on the old HB site but can't recover it now Tom

Nice boat!!!
What is the reasoning for the outer plates to overhang the center one?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice boat!!!
What is the reasoning for the outer plates to overhang the center one?
Headed to the shop later (after honey do's) I'll examine things a little closer and post up some pics re the plate over lap I'm "guessin' its a "thing" to sort of blend the outer and inner plate ?? T :)hand

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need some close up engine, turbo, manifold pictures.

I like the simplicity of the setup.:)bulb
Took some more pics , pulled the carb off yesterday (IMO too small 700 dfdp) to clean and kit The Old hot rod sound's bizare "blapping" thru one bitty a$$ tail pipe , not sure I'm serene with the tiny intake system and small exaust for a BBC but we'll see ! The water pump impeller was massivley shredded, hmmm wonder why the guy said it was getting hot.... V-drive 502 ,Glad theres another of these out there ,found some limited info from a cached HB thread I'll figure out a way to post it (scan the print maybe) Pulled the seats too for redo , Nice balsa ,perfect shape Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
You might be interested in this rare 19' 1972 Emken flatty, It has the adjustable plates, two nice keel fins and a reworked trailer (new paint, new tires with nitrogen, bearings and bearing buddys, LED lights $2,100 invested). It is a great boat with a older hall craft v-drive, fully outfitted less gauges and engine. Comes with engine mounts so just drop in you favorite BBC and some gauges and you are on the water. The hull is in good shape with some dings. Asking $2,950 (Corona, CA}

1972 Emken.jpg 1972 Emken 2.jpg

Took some more pics , pulled the carb off yesterday (IMO too small 700 dfdp) to clean and kit The Old hot rod sound's bizare "blapping" thru one bitty a$$ tail pipe , not sure I'm serene with the tiny intake system and small exaust for a BBC but we'll see ! The water pump impeller was massivley shredded, hmmm wonder why the guy said it was getting hot.... V-drive 502 ,Glad theres another of these out there ,found some limited info from a cached HB thread I'll figure out a way to post it (scan the print maybe) Pulled the seats too for redo , Nice balsa ,perfect shape Tom

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
What a find Tom. How did you come across this one?? Be anxious to see it run. When it is ready to test, let me know and I will meet you at the lake.
I gave Troy a good first ride in a flat. I think he left finger prints embedded in the grab handles. I also took 14 year old Carlos Munguia, one of my Scouts and he is also part of my pit crew for a ride and then let him drive. The second ride I gave him we ran against Donnies Blown Jet and he asked me to take him back to the dock? Little much I guess. If I get your way, I'll stop by to see the new ride.
Denis:)devil:)devil
Read this thread without looking at the date. Took me back...never met the man, but chatted on here a few times. Sorry I never had the chance to say hi in person.
RIP Denis

·
Registered
196 Posts
I knew Mike Emken back in '70 - '72 when he was building boats out of his garage in Encinitas, CA. Last I heard he was living in Austin Texas. Does anyone know where he is today. I would like to make contact with him again.
Shirl Dickey
CJ60

·
Registered
69 Posts
These boats were made in buena Park on valley view By Pat & Al , Al was a contractor by day & a boat builder at nite and his wife Pat ran the shop during the day, It was amazing that Al built these boats by himself after him and mike split up. My dad was friends with Pat and Al. We would caravan to pine flats, nacaminto & red rock (parker) from 1969 - 1980. Al's favorate sayin was ( you dont race with the man who owns the boat shop) He also had a home in Needles.
Al took over the emken boats in about 1973 - the name changed to Pats - 007 stamped was the 7th boat they made under the new name - Al layed up all these hulls himself. In 1970 my dad had Mike and Al build him a solid Orange boat (Bottom Buster). at that time Al had a wood deck Emken That was cut down (Great looking boat would like to own it) The was named nut cracker. I could go on forever - great people and good times :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
137 Posts
My brother just picked up an Emken in Mississippi with the business card "pats inboards" fiberglassed under the dash... Pretty neat read. Never heard of emkens. Cool little runner bottom. Definitely different. Would love to know more about them. Is pat & al still around?

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
CLO$ENUFF
2 Posts
Pat's Inboard's was located near the corner of Valley View and Orangethorp blvd. Buena Park, ca. which became Penny's distribution center a few years later, around 1970, (I remember because I had a new 70 ss El Camino) I used to stop by Pat's Inboard and talk to Pat, she was very nice and helpful to educate me on boating do's and don'ts, they had a nice little store and her husband built the boats in the back, thought she said he was a cabinet maker so he was good at the wood work, some of the boats had nice wood deck's, they sold ski's and rented them, I rented a Maharaja slalom ski from her she was very concerned that I did not put and dings in it, I did not ding it but I never got up on it. I later bought a bare hull Southwind Jet Boat and brought it by to show he, she pointed out that I should get a better trailer hitch and pointed me down the street to a welder Less Grimes custom trailer hitches that I used more than once, Pat' Inboards good people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Y dad mike Emken is still alive, you cam email me at [email protected]. I am his oldest kid, I am not sure if pat and al our still around I dad would know

My brother just picked up an Emken in Mississippi with the business card "pats inboards" fiberglassed under the dash... Pretty neat read. Never heard of emkens. Cool little runner bottom. Definitely different. Would love to know more about them. Is pat & al still around?

View attachment 895305

View attachment 895313

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts