Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinkin of converting my blown 461 ci bbc to a hat style mechanical injection and getting rid of the 850 carbs. It runs on gas now and compression is 8.5 to 1 with a 8-71 mooneyham blower. Other than looking bad ass what are some pros and cons and are they easy to tune, and how is driving the boat around with a blown injected setup. thanks

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have ran mine a couple of times with the Enderle.

Last time out at the lake I took the wife & my 3 year old son out for a cruise.

The throttle is going to be much more responsive with the Enderle. But with throttle control it works just fine.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i've gotta compelte enderle birdcatcher system in runnable shape(just pulled it off last month) for sale cheap, 1100 including priming set-up. call me mr spam :D i need to sale to get mo parts:p
here it is on the boat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You might consider a hilborn 4 hole hat. More drivability than the 3 hole Enderle, but its still not as friendly as carbs, but accelerate like no tomorrow!

If you're at the LB races this weekend, check out GN369, Heath Hiebert's boat. He has that setup and it works pretty sweet. He can give you some info on his experiences with it.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
The carbs are more forgiving to altitude and tuning. Unless you want to really understand how MFI works and willing to tinker and tune a bit...don't go there.
You have to squirt or prime an injected motor to start. The carbs you don't have to.
Throttle response is better with the injector. Part throttle operation or crusing can be close to the carbs.....but you have to mess with it to get it.
To some...that's the fun. To others its a hassle.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote: "Its the hard that makes it great" - Jimmy Dougan

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I'm running a bird on my 871 in a 19.

I'll never go back to carbs. Had the hat setup by Enderle to my specs and only had to adjust the barrel valve four flats. No partial throttle problems and I added another injector with a solenoid and small electric pump to prime it.

The plumbing was the biggest PIMA, I have the bullet tank that came out of your Rayson and a T tank is much easier to plumb in a cruiser application.

It's not as sloppy as it looks in that pic though.:D

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts