Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine Hatch Build

I needed to build an engine hatch for my 84 Eliminator Sport, I was looking for a way to build one lightweight and with an air scoop. This hatch isn't rigid enough for someone to stand on. Not really what I was going for. Here is what I came up with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine Hatch Build

I took a 4'x8'x2" sheet of ISO Rigid Insulation and first shaped the hatch base and added another piecs for a riser. I then centered the aero scoop and recessed it into the ISO sheet.

I had some 17oz cloth left over from the floor and stringer repair so I started with that as my base layer, then overlayed with a layer of 8oz cloth

I let the top side set up overnight then I started removing foam. I left a suport rail all along the outside edge and ribs down the center. Along the back edge I bonded in 2 - 4" strips if 3/4" ply that I laminated together for hinge suppport. I used CSM to build up the inside and glassed the inside of the scoop to the base.

After a little trimming here it is.

Now for some smoothing and hit it with some sealer primer.

ry-guy

·
77 sleek.
924 Posts
Im wanting to do the same thing except for smaller scoop and built in under the vinyl. Looks good i wish i had these kind ok skills.:))THumbsUp

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the hatch sanded out and primed with epoxy primer. Good enough to get back out on the water!! I will finish and gel during the off season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That looks awesome! I was thinking of attempting the same thing for my eliminator as well once I get the garage setup and do my repaint.

I would be curious now too if that was sturdy enough for people to stand on / slide over to get back into the boat..

One other quick question I have, I noticed your rope attachment, could you send any pics of how / where that is mounted to? All I have for my boat now is the transom y connector rope you get but it sits so low in the water it's pretty hard to use for the kids.. I'd love to get a setup like that for knee boarding and or tubing for them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I formed the panels with a good ole serrated kitchen knife and then sanded smooth using a long board and 40 grit paper. After the top set I flipped it and hogged out the foam, leaving a border on the edges and some on the center. Along the entire rear edge is a reinforcement, I laminated 2 pieces of 3/4" ply ripped in 4" strips for the hinge mounts.

@steve_g -- Here is a pic of the rope hook mount

If I wanted it for people to sit/stand on I would have made it from ply, then glassed over it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
with a CG approved flame arrestor or air filter he should be fine. If the carb is left open they may not be impressed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ry-guy
Nice engine hatch
Need to do something similar
I was going to use gurit board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Engine Hatch Build, reinforcement,

In aerospace we use honeycomb, ether nomex or aluminum. A quick and less costly alternative is to make your own. Using ether a 1/4 inch piece of hardwood or Burch plywood make a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 inch pattern and fit in to the underside of the cover. Totally wet out a piece of 10 oz or thicker mat and embed the egg-crate in it on the underside. when cured you can brush all the joints then cover with another thin piece of Birch or marine plywood, using the same steps wetting the mat then covering the egg-crate. Finish the underside with a thin layer of cloth. have fun.
eggcrate.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Skidder
Good idea with the egg crates
I was hoping if I support and reinforced it correctly then could slide or walk on it if the occasion arose
As my engine is mounted a little forward of transom as rubbing crash gearbox and parallel drive so at an estimate the back of engine is approx 750mm (29” ) inside transom

I need to take sone new pics as the attached may not be that clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts