Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since im new to the jet boat world and have no clue as to how this hull should ride (i grew up on vdrive flatbottoms) and I just cant seems to ever leave a boat as is I have a few questions.
In the vdrive world generally setting the motor a bit more forward in the hull seemed to have good results. Where do you want a jet boat motor to sit?
This motor seems to be pretty far forward, Im toying with the idea of setting the jet back as my "winter" project later this year. Im curious about setting the motor back as well. Good idea bad idea?
I am planning on a place diverter, this boat feels like its hugging the water too much, like a vdrive with the plates way down or an I/O all the way down. Since I have already blown my boat budget for this summer and cant afford a diverter and a 2 piece bowl for a droop snoot I am wondering if a wedge would be worth a try. Also is this considered a heavy hull or a lighter hull? 19' tahiti with 455 olds
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dont know anything about the set back thing, but you defininetly need a place diverter! It makes all the difference in the world on heavy boats! I have a Heavy 21 footer myself and when i start to trim up the place diverter its like an anchor gets lifted up and the boat picks up mph and rides better! A place diverter will bolt right up to your JC bowl.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know anything about the set back thing, but you defininetly need a place diverter! It makes all the difference in the world on heavy boats! I have a Heavy 21 footer myself and when i start to trim up the place diverter its like an anchor gets lifted up and the boat picks up mph and rides better! A place diverter will bolt right up to your JC bowl.
If I can only find one for dirt cheep id be set!:D

·
Registered
995 Posts
A place diverter will help. But moving the pump back is a iffy thing. depends on horsepower and pump setup. Spend more time researching it. Or ask Jack @MPD, he'll know the answers or where to head.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A split bowl and diverter would be a good upgrade with possibly a droop. I don't think moving the pump back is going to get you much bang for the buck and a lot of hard work. Not sure if a shoe and ride plate would do much either, someone will chime in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
X's many , Hands down The best Bang for Buck would be a Place diverter trim , it will help free up the boat (reduce wetted surface) and allow you to plane the boat quicker,adjusting for load and attitude , wouldn't recommend a droop, wouldn't set the jet back , if it became neccesary to pull the intake (if it was leaking for example) it would be prudent to machine and install a ride plate at that time Otherwize crank up the tunes ,drive it and have fun Tom

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah im keeping my eye out for a diverter.........i agree that it would do a lot for me.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Always a good idea to talk to someone with the same hull before doing the setback. Can open a can of worms when trying to get the boat back on the water as it may not like the "set up". One added benefit of the setback is you can put the hand hole outside the boat, if you boat in parker, thats huge.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey sleek I think I saw a diverter listed on craigslist here in Boise a few days ago- check it out.
yeah he wanted like 500 bucks for it....it didnt really look like a good deal. where in Boise are you? we'll have hit the water sometime!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Always a good idea to talk to someone with the same hull before doing the setback. Can open a can of worms when trying to get the boat back on the water as it may not like the "set up". One added benefit of the setback is you can put the hand hole outside the boat, if you boat in parker, thats huge.
parker is a little far for me...lol, but i will be boating on the snake river as soon as this winter/RAIN RAIN crap will stop. The only reason i was thinking of the set back with the pump and the motor is because I will be pulling the motor and pump this wither to repaint the hull. I just figured if its out and Im doing some glass work etc. if i was ever going to do the set back it would be the best time to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
All great suggestions above...now is the time to enjoy your boat > off season is the time to mess with it. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All great suggestions above...now is the time to enjoy your boat > off season is the time to mess with it. ;)
LOL i agree, we have just had nothing but CRAP weather here for the past couple of months! So im just suck in my garage playin with my tools.....LOL So Im getting BORED!!! :D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Don't set the pump back on that boat with the current power!!! Unless you want to spend the next batch of money making power to keep it on the ass-end! That hull design is bow heavy and will tend to want to rock or porpoise big time if you do. Get a diverter first and be happy. V-drive design is a flat bottom with a lighter bow and the cav plates adjust ride efficiently. This design has a pump and not a prop. Water moves the boat,TOTALLY different worlds. IMO

·
Registered
628 Posts
yeah he wanted like 500 bucks for it....it didnt really look like a good deal. where in Boise are you? we'll have hit the water sometime!
South Boise - we can meet up at Lucky Peak one of these days when it warms up. I haven't even taken the cover off my boat yet, damn shame. I'm sure you will want to join in on the Tuesday night at the lake deal we have been doing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
South Boise - we can meet up at Lucky Peak one of these days when it warms up. I haven't even taken the cover off my boat yet, damn shame. I'm sure you will want to join in on the Tuesday night at the lake deal we have been doing.
sweet! now if this weather will ever break......:|err

1 - 19 of 19 Posts