Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how strong is the mounting point on the pump. I want to run just a front engine mount plate and the bell housing pump mount. Do you think it will be too much pressure on the pump? My boat came rigged with rubber car mounts that centered the weight of the motor. With the front plate only Iam afraid that when the boat hits wakes its going to put too much pressure on the pump housing. Does anyone have a used rear plate for sale for a BBF? Or will this setup work

·
Classic Hotboater!
932 Posts
Sounds like a 3 point mount. It will work as designed:)devil if everything is in good shape.

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
a 3 point balances (kinda) the motor and uses the pump for a little extra support what is wrong with that set up or did you re-rig the boat with a different motor. I would be cautious with using the pump to support 50% of the engine weight

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
Previous to moving the engine a 1.5" forward I ran a frount mount and the 3pt bellhousing with two struts to the stringers, this gave a 5pt system and it worked very good in circle racing conditions. I will try and find a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

BTW - I am interested in the rear mount. Please pm me the details.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have jUSt tHe front plate and the three point bell houseing. Its a JF pump if that matters. Works great but its just a SBC lake boat. nothing fancy or tricked out.

I did have another set of mounts hooked thru the stringers but i removed them as they seemed unneeded. I was advised the three point set up is fine.

bell housing looks like this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the input. I wanted to get rid of the stock style rubber mounts so I had bought a front plate not even thinking that 50% of the weight on the pump now is probably a bad idea. Iam running a BBF with about 600 horse. Ill try posting some pics tonight. That damn rear plate is 300.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. I wanted to get rid of the stock style rubber mounts so I had bought a front plate not even thinking that 50% of the weight on the pump now is probably a bad idea. Iam running a BBF with about 600 horse. Ill try posting some pics tonight. That damn rear plate is 300.
You'll be fine with a 3 point mount system. Using a solid front mount off the front of the motor and the bellhousing mount. This setup is on thousands of jet boats out there for years of reliable service. HP is not much of a factor. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
You'll be fine with a 3 point mount system. Using a solid front mount off the front of the motor and the bellhousing mount. This setup is on thousands of jet boats out there for years of reliable service. HP is not much of a factor. Good Luck
The 3 point mount setup doent use a front plate. It uses the original motor mount location and then rests on the pump for additional support. If you move the pivot point from the center of the engine to the front of the engine you increase the weight distrabution and then the pump mount will be carrying the brunt of the load.to use the 3 point deal and make it rigid to get away from the rubber oem mounts is fine, but dont use that front plate to eliminate the motor mounts.

Just my opinion here....:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
x2 what futs said and a bbf is a lot heaver then the small block in the pics, that adds a lot of pressure on the bell housing

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
X's 2,3,4,5 .. assuming I read this right, If you mix a solid front 4 pt style mt cast plate,and a 3 pt rear bell hsg (which uses a rubber brg cap isolator) its too much span and poor weight distribution IMO for a full grown Big block , you could however "solid" it up by putting "legs on the 3pt rear hsg and useing that set up ,similar to what Jim said (1rst pic) or simply change your stock location mid mounts to "solid" plate type now available (elimiates the engine cushion) (2nd pic) Btw glad the Transom adapt worked out call if we can help !Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts