Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Eliminated
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with my good ol' 396 long gone and my plans of building a blown engine out the window (no $) I want opinions on a 454 based family engine. I want to be able to let my kids tube or ski but still be able to get somewhere in a hurry on pump gas. Is that too much to ask?? I just want to turn the key and go just like my 396...when it wanted to go. ;)
Im curious to know what has worked for you guys as far as cubic inch, compression ratio, 30 over, 60 over, stroked or not, single carb or tunnel ram, heads. I have access to some parts but I am basically starting over from scratch so any help will be appreciated.
18ft Eliminator, Berk, Place Diverter

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
This is a clean, simple, affordable combo and easy to build.
-Cast iron 2 bolt 454 block std. bore, then bore .030" over
-Stock cast crank
-Stock rods Have heavy duty bolts installed (ARP2000)
-Speed pro pistons #ZL2349F30. 10.0:1 with 119cc head runs on 91 pump gas all day, no pinging issues to tune out.
-Melling select oil pump HV.
-Clevite bearings threw out.
-Dart Iron Eagle marine heads 308cc intake. 119cc chamber
-Crane hydraulic retrofit roller lifters.
-Crane 1.7 Gold Rockers
-Jomar Pro Model rocker stud girdle
-Crane hydraulic roller cam #139721. Grind # HR-276-2S-10
IN. [email protected]=.553"
EX. [email protected]=576
IN. [email protected]=214
EX. [email protected]=222
IN. ADV dur=276
EX. ADV dur=284
110* LC
-Weiand Team G single plane intake
-850 Holley marine, or Demon marine carb. I tune this combo in with a Vacuum secondary carb and get terrific gas mileage, it will pull to 4500rpm and not open the secondaries until then. Once tuned with secondaries open you will see around 4900rpm running a Berkeley "A" impeller.
-Exhaust=The best you can afford, Lightning threw transom or Rewarder OT headers are a good choice. Also will work excellent with Dana Marine flow torque manifolds. Logs only if you must, will work fine just a loss in HP.

Put this together with care and you can drive it all day long, gets great gas mileage, pulls the kids on the tube until they quit, and has really good smooth power. Pulls nice too :D and has a smooth idle.
Have fun

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Anytime! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts