1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume non-high heat paint would blister. When I made my first smoker, the first thing I did was crank up the heat to burn the paint off and then put oven paint on it.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I assume non-high heat paint would blister. When I made my first smoker, the first thing I did was crank up the heat to burn the paint off and then put oven paint on it.
If your smoker were water cooled the paint would have not burned off. Paint for non-water cooled exhaust manifolds would be a better comparison to a smoker. Regular ol spray paint does just fine on an engine block & heads.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Boat engines don't get hot enough to need special heat resistant paint. I've done several engines with House of Colors candy base/clear. Not necessary, but the more you grind the block smooth the better it looks. Your biggest concern is getting the engine CLEAN! Jocko

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
engine paint

Here's a couple options for ya tptools.com/engine-paint. I have not used these personally only looked for myself so far. I have used the original hammerite paint on engine blocks very successfully w/o primer on very clean block. It dries quickly and is very durable. They have many colors including a red. Good luck with your deal.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Here's a couple options for ya tptools.com/engine-paint. I have not used these personally only looked for myself so far. I have used the original hammerite paint on engine blocks very successfully w/o primer on very clean block. It dries quickly and is very durable. They have many colors including a red. Good luck with your deal.
Yep..hammerite works good,and you can get different effects with air pressure and thinning
on a iron head it seldom burns off....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have used dupli-color engine enamel on quite a few things. Pretty much same price as a decent rattle can. Sprays good, dries quick and its pretty tough. I like it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts