Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of paint to use to paint the engine block?
Will automotive paint hold up to the heat?...H

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
Imron polyurethane, or single stage urethane, por15, enamel. Its all in the prep work. I'm no expert, but I've done a few myself and the block needs to be perfectly clean. No oil, paint, grease,rust, or moisture or you will have issues. You don't have to prime the cast, but you can. I'm sure some of the other guys on here can help out more. There are a few paint guys around. Todd Griggs, Billy B etc.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used an epoxy like on the brake calipers. Brush it on and it dries real smooth like you smoothed out the block.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We have had real good luck with ppg epoxy primer (dplf) and single stage urethane (dcc) it holds up real well. Like everyone else said, the prep work is the most important part.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Clean and brush and scrub the block extensively. Use wire brushes, scotch brite, or anything else that is rough. Wash the block with both soapy water and solvent based cleaners. Like everyone else said, It's all in the prep work. I personally use primer, but I'm not a paint guy. If you do prime it first, you should scuff up the surface first to help the final coat stick better, but it's not necessary. Hope this helps. But like I said I'm not a painter, this is just what I do and it's worked for me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Best engine paint I ever used on a bare, clean block was 'One Shot" the same stuff sign painters and pin stripers use. No priming. Tough as nails. Never cracked or peeled.

·
Registered
939 Posts
engine paint

I use Imron. that stuff will not come off at the machine shop. Same paint job has been tanked every year, and its still on there. No primer either.

Jerry

·
Some guy
3,619 Posts
For anyone who hasn't tried it,, get a can of Duplicolor engine paint. It's ceramic based, goes on fairly easily and smooth and has a real nice finish. I have had people ask if it's ok to touch days after it was sprayed on, it looks that shiny and wet. On top of that it stays on the block. One word of caution, read the instructions, make sure you don't wait more than an hour between coats, otherwise you are supposed to wait 5 days.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
O.k. here's one for ya. My new to me boat is white and blue. My engine is getting swapped out of my Kachina and into the new boat. It's orange (duplicolor) and is actually holding up pretty well paint-wise. I'm not about to disassemble the motor just to paint it, but I've got to do something with it. It's gonna look pretty stupid as is.

I was just going to clean up any loose flakes, oil and/or grease and hit it again with a more suitable color (duplicolor again).

Anybody do a re-coat and did it stick?

Oh yeah I just have to paint the block and alternator. The heads are aluminum.

·
Registered
911 Posts
For anyone who hasn't tried it,, get a can of Duplicolor engine paint. It's ceramic based, goes on fairly easily and smooth and has a real nice finish. I have had people ask if it's ok to touch days after it was sprayed on, it looks that shiny and wet. On top of that it stays on the block. One word of caution, read the instructions, make sure you don't wait more than an hour between coats, otherwise you are supposed to wait 5 days.
This is what I used. It remains a bit brittle and chips easy for the about a week, but after a full cure it looks real nice. It hasn't been on long so we will see about its longevity.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i use ppg epoxy dp90 then you have a 72 hour window to put your color on it.epoxy is great stuff sticks to anything corrosion resistant and gives a window of time before you have to re-sand.you can thin it some to make it flow out better if you dont like mud,but really need mud on a block casting to fill better.

i have used single stage deltron urethane.
i preffer if getting fancy to use base clear.
i have 2 blocks that have been done for 2 years with base clear.look great still no peel or dis-coloration.
all ppg products which is what we use at our shop,but dad used dupont for 40 years so it will work well also.:D

or you can get some spray can paint and go at it it works well too;)

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
This is what I used. It remains a bit brittle and chips easy for the about a week, but after a full cure it looks real nice. It hasn't been on long so we will see about its longevity.
Damn, what happened to that back air breather?:))eek:)) You need to clean that out or something.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Duplicolor has worked well for me on a couple of engines. It looks good, holds up well and in the case of the clear coat over polished aluminum, doesn't discolor.

I didn't know that Imron was still available to us in Cali. anymore. I did a Sportster frame with it in the '80s and it was tough stuff!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
ppg has a speacil clear coat that you do in a 3 part stage that doesnt dis-color or peel of we have used it many times over the past 3 years and it all looks as good as it did the day we did it.its expensive but no more polishing:)devil

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
wow... you guys go nuts... I use black BBQ paint!
that's what I'm sayin'!

I use good old Krylon Glossy Black ... cheap, easy to find, good up to 350*

if you're running your engine at temps higher than that, you have bigger issues!

it's all in the prep, I will agree with that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts