Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question is this. I found a used rail kit for a chevy . thing is the rail kit came out of a boat that had 22 in rails and I have 23.5 in rails. is that not gonna work or can it me modded to work?

Casey

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
question is this. I found a used rail kit for a chevy . thing is the rail kit came out of a boat that had 22 in rails and I have 23.5 in rails. is that not gonna work or can it me modded to work?

Casey
Are you talking about the length or width?

I am guessing you are talking about the motorplates being an 1-1/2 narrower, you are pretty much out of luck and you will have to make new motor plates. Probably cost $250 to make new wider plates off your old plates.

If you don't care how it looks, you can probably get away with making wider mounting blocks as the plates would still sit on the rails.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Few things bolt right in you may have to drill some new holes. edit, are you talking length or width???
Beat me to it while I was banging away at the keyboard

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
width ..kit is out of a boat with 22 width and mine is 23.5 between the stringers

Yep.

Depends on how you want it to look.

It could be made to work.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what would one do? get rails that are 3/4 inch wider on each side or somethin. or add padds where moror plate is gonna sit and install or weld wider pad right there or somethin?

Casey

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
look for some wider plates. ther are alot of used ones out there. where are you located at?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im in Fremont,CA. which plates you talkin about the motor plates or wider rails that go on the stringers? Im only off about 1.5 inches off so if I could get angle iron rails that were 3/4 inch or so wider it could work.dont ya think?

Casey

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I would probably stay away from wider rails. I would think that you would want to keep all that weight as close to the stringers as possible.:)bulb

Just get some wider plates!!!:|err

Good luck!:)hand

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeh yeh get some wider engine mount plates..stay away from the rail kit that is 22 when I need 23.5...was just tryin to get a deal and make it work instead of spendin $500-800$ I need a rail kit or Hardin motor mount front & rear plates with feet,454 engine,oil pan,etc..gonna cost alot to change over from the olds to the chevy and was tryin to get as many deals as poss.

scored some headers at least!

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if any of ya hear of a used Rail kit or Hardin,Guardian kit that will work for me let me know. Im trying not to shell out for brand new if poss.

Casey

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
if any of ya hear of a used Rail kit or Hardin,Guardian kit that will work for me let me know. Im trying not to shell out for brand new if poss.

Casey
Can you not get some aluminum plate to make new plates, and use the old plates as a template, and just make the mounting tabs a little longer?:)bulb Do you have a jigsaw and a router? They wouldn't be too difficult to make, especially since you have motor plates already, that you can use as a template.

Just a thought, since you're trying to save money. The more pieces you can make yourself, the more money you will save.:)bulb

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Are you talking about the length or width?

I am guessing you are talking about the motorplates being an 1-1/2 narrower, you are pretty much out of luck and you will have to make new motor plates. Probably cost $250 to make new wider plates off your old plates.

If you don't care how it looks, you can probably get away with making wider mounting blocks as the plates would still sit on the rails.
Not everyone has to pay themselves to do work...I just bought a clean 2 x 2 remnant at a local supplier for $40 bucks. You can get a front & rear mount out of that one piece.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont have a rail kit I was thinking of buyin the one that was 22 inches but asked here first if I can make it work.

Casey

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
i dont have a rail kit I was thinking of buyin the one that was 22 inches but asked here first if I can make it work.

Casey
Ok, that makes more sense now!

Just keep your eye out for a 23.5" rail kit, or buy one new.

I'm learning that it is best to just shell out the cash for the good stuff, instead of spending more money over a long period of time for the crap stuff. You'll be much happier with the final product, if you spend money once on the good stuff.:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok will do.. ill pass on this one.. so i can get one 23.5 or bigger and cut the bigger ones down to the 23.5 but dont get one that is smaller..

got it,

thanks.
Casey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts