Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Geo metro also had a three cylinder.

I still say a twin two stroke is what you need.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those that don't know i have a 11ft hull that normally has a wacker on the back of it. My plan is to convert it to a jet and make it look and sound like the standard 18ft jetboat with ot headers. I really want a V motor because it would be perfect how the exhaust comes out each side and i think it might be small enough to fit. This motor, the look, is exactly what i want!

·
655 Posts
A few years ago a buddy had a 12 ft. picklfork with a full size Berk pump and turbocharged Mazda motor. The thing ran about 80.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was the pump i got off ebay, was ment for a 30hp motor and from the looks of it was ran in the first seadoo's No reverse but i'll figure/make somthing to deal with that.

Looks like these cars/motors are more popular in the UK, found a motor for 200 GBP which which is about $400 USD... problem is shipping is going to suck :mad:

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
Mazda Rotary 12A maybe ?

I know a guy that had 3 of those little V-4's to run his irrigation system.

Sleeper CP :D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
surprised noone's mention a vw motor, think of the hp potential with the aftermarket parts available for those ;)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Okay this is killing me.That is infact a SAAB Sonet V-4. Revs like a sumbiotch and makes alot of power. The down side is that motor to 6A pump you will over work the pump and blow holes in the water. IMO M

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
surprised noone's mention a vw motor, think of the hp potential with the aftermarket parts available for those ;)
He has another thread for this boat, and the VW was thrown around a bit, but he never seemed very interested in them.

The exhaust comes out both sides, there's a killer aftermarket for those things, and parts for them are typically cheap.:)bulb What's not to like?:D

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
ya but air cooled??? unless you mean another type of vw motor
put a big ass snorkle scoop on it to keep it cool, hey he said he wanted it to look like a fullsize jet:D i like the subaru motors too, they light suckas and water cooled.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
This was the pump i got off ebay, was ment for a 30hp motor and from the looks of it was ran in the first seadoo's No reverse but i'll figure/make somthing to deal with that.

Looks like these cars/motors are more popular in the UK, found a motor for 200 GBP which which is about $400 USD... problem is shipping is going to suck :mad:
Thats a Berk 6JA pump, cool little pump and your correct they came in the original Sea-Doo's, and some of the little jet boats that used to run around in the late 70's early 80's. I use to own a couple of the Sea-Doo's so I have some experience with that pump as I rebuilt a few. I can tell you that is one stout little pump, don't be to concerned with hurting it with what your doing, I'm pretty sure it can take it. The impeller is the same diameter as the one used in the old Kawasaki 400-440 stand up, but the thread pitch is a little different. I don't think getting an impeller will be an issue, I'm sure Skat-Trak, Solas, or one of the PWC impeller manufacturers can make one for you with the needed thread pitch. All the bearings and seals are easily obtainable at any bearing house, I'm not sure if Berk has anything for it still. When I rebuilt mine I remember buying a new shaft from berk but that was years ago.

For a power plant I would look only at engines that have readily available parts, buying a power plant with no part is just a waist IMO. The Scat V-4 would be the baddest hot rod on the planet for your little boat, Big V-8 sound, torque and idle from a V-4. The headers would have to be a custom deal as with anything you use I think, but damn what a ride that would be. There is a huge down side however, parts are expensive and exotic, and the engines come with a pricey tag too.
Here a link to one for sale in Los Angeles.
http://www.losangelessuperads.com/A...scat_v-4_engine--fresh_C22A56575P1/index.aspx

Here is a link to one a guy purchased for his rock crawler, blown no less!!
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/scat/scat-1.htm
The Scat V-4 was very popular in the class 1 off road race cars threw the 90's and earliy 2000's, their use has diminished in the last few years, but I believe Scat still makes all the parts for them on a limited basis.

Another option that I think is going to be the most economical and easy to do would be a VW, I would go with a 2275 or bigger type 1. Lots of torque, cool parts, and dress up for your little boat and parts are no problem. If you decide to go the VW route let me know, air cooleds are what I do and I would like to help you out with your engine weather you build it or have it done.

One more option, inline 4. I have an all aluminum Pontiac Super duty 181ci (3000cc) Inline 4 that I am building right now, it is for sale. Jesel, roller lifters, roller cam bearings, Titanium retainers, Carrillo, JE, Dan Olson, Barnes, the list goes on. If interested contact me.

How about some pic's of that little ride. :D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts