Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been replacing wires and cleaning up electrical connections and now I have a weird problem. The engine won't turn off. I have looked at schematics and used my ohm meter everywhere and I think I know the problem. If someone could tell me if it sounds correct.

I suspect the starter solenoid. If I put my ohm meter on the post that goes from the starter solenoid to the ignition coil, I am getting a 12 volt reading. I think that that should only ready 12 volts when the key is being cranked. Am I right?

·
Bouncing off rocks
82 Posts
you need to remove 12v from the coil to kill the engine. you may need to add a diode to your alternator wiring to allow it to shut off. btw, you really should have 2 ways of killing the engine. 1. key off, 2. tether kill switch in case you get wet

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
x3 on the diode. pm me if ya need a hand. If you're looking at some basic wiring diagrams,you may not see the diode. I remember the diagram I was looking at when I rewired my old k boat just showed a lamp. I guess that's how the did it in the old days.

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it is the starter solenoid. Of course maybe there are other problems.

The post/stud on the solenoid that connects to the + battery terminal, I must have tightened the nut too tight causing the stud to screw into the solenoid. I backed the stud out some and now the engine dies properly.

I think I'll replace it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Call your boss say you cant get off lake because your boat wont shut off stay out till you run out of fuel just an idea

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think everyone is wrong on this one. It means you should not shut off the engine and just keep boating and boating and boating. :D
Wags

1 - 8 of 8 Posts