Performance Boats Forum banner

Engines coming back out

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  *BN* 
#1 ·
Water is pouring out around the starter and i was losing oil pressure. not sure whats up but gonna yank the motor and start taking it apart. Looks like thats how im going to be spending my 4th

#2 ·
Was there water in the bilge? Sometimes the flywheel will make it look like water is coming out oth the front of the starter when the motors running.

Cut the oil filter open and see whats in there it will tell you if your wiping out bearings. Loose valve adjustment will cause low oil pressure.

Just throwin stuff out there. Good Luck.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks.. Thats all the plan... However i got a bunch of oil in my bildge. i think im losing pressure from a leak..

Do the starter bolts in a SBC pass into the water jacket of the block? It looked like water was coming from that location. I checked the fly weel and it did not seem like it was throwing the water. The water in the bildge simply was not deep enough to make contact with the flywheel.

#4 ·
No water jackets within a starter bolts reach. Maybe the freeze plugs on the back of the block are leaking. Check the sending unit for the oil pressue gauge they leak. Oil pressure loss from a leak is not likely. What kinda oil pressure does it run amd whats it drop to?

#5 · (Edited)
it started at 50 PSI and once hot dropped to around 25 at idle.. when i pulled it it was down to 30 PSI when running and 15 at idle.. I then yanked it out of the water. the bildge is pretty nasty with oil. Im hoping i just have a fouled freeze plug behind the bellhousing causing that water leak.. that would be too simple. Still got to track down the oil leak.. Just replaced my valve covers so i may have just toasted those gaskets.

#6 ·
I bet a freeze plug came out and the heated water washed out the overflow greese that had accumulated inside the bell housing from the jet drive's front bearing - giving the impression of an oil leak. Your oil pressure sounds fine.

#7 ·
I bet a freeze plug came out and the heated water washed out the overflow greese that had accumulated inside the bell housing from the jet drive's front bearing - giving the impression of an oil leak. Your oil pressure sounds fine.

That would be super cool..When i pull it im going to replace the oil pan gasket the valve cover gaskets and make sure that oil filter is on there good. also reseat that oil pressure sender and hook up a secondary manual one as well...all just in case.

The engine was running great but with the multitude of symptoms better safe than sorry...

#9 ·
Ok so the engine came back out today... I hate doing this.. However it gave me a chance to clean a few things up..

What did i learn? Freeze plugs are good to go.. Water coming from somewhere else and the fly wheel was just spitting it around...

Second, Cleaning oil out of a bildge sucks ass!!:|err

So i replaced all my gaskets (Valve cover and oil pan). I also replaced my oil pump while i was down there. I also took apart and re-assembled my water bypass valve as its the only other thing that could be causing the leak. I also redid my quick oil change valve.

Oil was spotless so no water in the oil. It simply appears the oil issue i had was from me not putting on the valve cover gaskets properly.

Some pics and a video.

Oil and other splooge in the bildge.

Hooking the block up to water pressure.

new oil pump installed.

Just got it all buttoned up.. What a long ass day

Quick drain set up.

#13 ·
I had thought about that. the last one did not have a handle on it.. However its so obscured by the oil filter im not sure it matters. And without it its a gambl;e as to when the valve is actually closed or not.

#14 ·
The valve stem should have two flats that will allow you to visually check if it is open or not. Well, if it opens you won't need to see it, there will be oil all over the place :)

When changing the oil you should be able to remove the filter first since it is going to be replaced anyways. Oil should not come from there while draining, it is normally above the level line in the pan.

BTW: you could put a pipe cap on the end of the nipple, problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.