Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jim, I live on LOTO In Missouri and the state mandates the use of Ethanol. Is there an additive I can put in to conteract the effects of Ethanol to the motor. I use to us a Octain boost on another boat that had high compresson. They do not have Ethanol in 91 octain gas, but I can't find any in our area. Thanks Jim

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Been running it in IL. for about 10 years, no issues except for the fiberglass fuel tanks, they don't like the alky at all. Most all the newer fuel hoses are ethanol compatable.

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
Thenderbutt Sleakcrafter is correct on what he mentioned. I don't know of anything that will help with the fuel problem. I think it's time to look into it for all of us.

JW

·
Registered
297 Posts
If e85 is mandated, why not set your boat up to run it? I'm currently working on a Crower injection set-up that I'm building specifically for e85 Ethanol (out of the pump, not race Ethanol) for our Hydro. My research has gotten me in contact with a group of racers that are setting up for, and racing with e85, on the strip, haven't talked to any boat racers that are using it. My $.02, Good Luck....
STEVE

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
This is a topic I am interested in. I have been meaning to find out more about this. I know they sell it in Parker & I was wanting to try it in my blown motor. Jim any input on the octane or effects vs av gas or 110?

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
Max As soon as I get time next week I will work on some answers for all of us. I do know the E-85 does not make the some power and will require some enrichment. We should know for sure next week as I will talk with my Detroit Engineers.

JW

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Is this stuff tuff on hoses? Long term? Like sitting in the winter dry?:confused:
No. I have 15 gallons in aluminum tanks. Been sitting since last Oct.

·
'74 Sanger ski hydro
440 Posts
This is a topic I am interested in. I have been meaning to find out more about this. I know they sell it in Parker & I was wanting to try it in my blown motor. Jim any input on the octane or effects vs av gas or 110?

Check out RACEONE85.com too. The usual octane rating dosen't really apply to e85. There are guys running it in 15+-:1 compression motors as well as guys running tons of boost (on this site even). The cooling effect of the ethanol allows it to do this. And because of the 85% ethanol / 15% gasoline mixture, it dosen't have the corrosive issues associated with Methanol.

One thing i've read is, if you want to enrichen it you would use more Ethanol for a higher than 85% mixture or a small amount of Methanol. But adding more gas would be dilluting it and hurting the performance characteristics. And you do NOT want to mix it with leaded race fuel. The lead/ethanol mixture can harm the engine

·
''GHOST of COLDFIRE''
1,887 Posts
Thank you very much. This will be interesting to try. I am running 15 psi boost & would like to side step $10 bucks a gallon or even 15 for the good stuff...:)
Then put that Pirate ship on alky and install 200 gal fuel tanks good to go!!

Whats-sup Maxi?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts