Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting condensation on the bottom of intake and valve covers over cyl. 1and 2, water droplets on stud gurdle at cyc. 1/2:mad:

I have asked a couple peeps on here with no answer, as well as the Shell answer Man (MikeT) and he say's an evac sys. will not work with water jacketed heads or help with my problem.

Is there a fix for this ????
Evac sys. ?????
1 line from each valve cover to spark arrestor ???
run a PCV valve ????
put a circulating pump with thermo stat on the motor???

I do run for long periods of time.
water runs around 140/150 running and 180/190 idle.
oil runs 200/210 after the cooler.

·
steelcomp was here
26,528 Posts
What's your concern? Condensaton is normal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It appears you have water in the cylinders also. I think you have water seeping from somewhere. Or you have a big cam and are getting reversion in the exhaust. This will also find it's way into the oil/valve cover area.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this was with two breathers then I added the other two and it got a little better but still covered the hole bottom. Oil looked good. I did do a water pressure test and the block held 25lbs for one hr.

·
Distinguished Member
5,781 Posts
this was with two breathers then I added the other two and it got a little better but still covered the hole bottom. Oil looked good. I did do a water pressure test and the block held 25lbs for one hr.

I don't know Scott. This don't look normal to me, but I'm no expert. I'm guessing you got a leak somewhere.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It appears you have water in the cylinders also. I think you have water seeping from somewhere. Or you have a big cam and are getting reversion in the exhaust. This will also find it's way into the oil/valve cover area.
This is possible this is the first time running this cam. :)bulb
250/254 @.050
over lap 28.0

When I put the motor back together I will do another pressure test again to be safe
Hope to find some cause for this

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't know Scott. This don't look normal to me, but I'm no expert. I'm guessing you got a leak somewhere.
What brand of oil are you using?? I have seen engines that were running Pennsoil do this. I think it has something to do with the parafin base motor oil. Just something out of my memory bank:(:(

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Rotella T 10w40
I haven't heard of Rotella, but that doesn't mean its bad oil. Might try some good ol Castrol or Valvoline. Does the rest of the engine look like the bottom side of the manifold? Looks like you torn down the engine so you start with a clean slate. Try a different oil and see what happens:(:(

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are your' exhaust tips below water line when idling? How long has it been doing this?
Yes the tips are below water line.

Motor idles at 1100/1200rpm

Problem started this year:mad: never had this happen befor.
went from 509 to a 540 and a different cam.
crank,rods.pistons and cam were the only changes.

I did some head repairs but I had them pressure tested after the repairs.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't heard of Rotella, but that doesn't mean its bad oil. Might try some good ol Castrol or Valvoline. Does the rest of the engine look like the bottom side of the manifold? Looks like you torn down the engine so you start with a clean slate. Try a different oil and see what happens:(:(

I will be going with Castrol this year or Mobil 1 full syn. ????:D

The yellow snot is on the bottom of intake, over #1 and 2 cyls. of valve covers and top 2in of dist. at the intake line haven't got the timming cover off yet. I'm running one of those metel valley pans that came in the gen5
and it was clean. No snot below intake line. All snot was covered with clear water droplets:)sphss

Thanks everyone for the replies I need two figure this out :)hand

Just for curiosity will running a evac sys. to these headers work????
maybe not for my problem but would like to know in it will work.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts

I hate elephant snot :|err

The last time mine had the more than the normal amount I had a head that needed to be re-torqued. It was all in the valve cover though and my oil looked just fine too.

How big is the cam on the dur vs the other cam? I like those headers, I need to look them up.

S CP :D

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hate elephant snot :|err

The last time mine had the more than the normal amount I had a head that needed to be re-torqued. It was all in the valve cover though and my oil looked just fine too.

How big is the cam on the dur vs the other cam? I like those headers, I need to look them up.

S CP :D
New is 250/254 28.0 over lap soild roller
old 242/248 21.7 OL Hyd.roller

Paul was great to deal with:D
He added to the collector to get the water mix farther away:D he said it should be OK with this cam just his opinion. Chris did the cam.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
get rid of the turkey pan under the intake, my 540 sweats the intake big time, and gets droplets on the rocker too. It's nothing remotely like your intake though.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think of two things.

Does you exhaust have check valves or flappers?

Can you idle it up a bit?

OK three, I think your oil temp is low, can you regulate the water flow to the cooler (inline or bypass)? Maybe get the oil temp to 230 or so.

Alcohol motors will sweat the oil, but the condensation normally does not show up like a wet fart until the engine has quite a few runs on it.

That's nasty BTW :))eek:))

GT:)hand

1 - 20 of 90 Posts