Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I decided to pull apart the carb that I had on the boat and rejet it so It could e out back on a smaller motor. When I pulled the bowls off the insides look like they are peeling( blistered and almost like a dried up river bed). My questions are if any o you have seen this before, what would cause this, and finally is it safe to strip all that shit out of there(what I am doing now) clean and run it? It I like slag almost, if you hit it with a screwdriver or tool it will break off.

Sent from that vibrating thing In your pocket using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Today I decided to pull apart the carb that I had on the boat and rejet it so It could e out back on a smaller motor. When I pulled the bowls off the insides look like they are peeling( blistered and almost like a dried up river bed). My questions are if any o you have seen this before, what would cause this, and finally is it safe to strip all that shit out of there(what I am doing now) clean and run it? It I like slag almost, if you hit it with a screwdriver or tool it will break off.

Sent from that vibrating thing In your pocket using Tapatalk
Looks like the bowls were "dipped" or coated" and moisture has gotton between the castings and coating ? Tom

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like the anno is comming off so I told Dad( going on his truck) to junk them and buy new ones. We'll see what he ends up doing. lol

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
From what I can see your carb is junk. Holley had a bad run of carbs due to raw materials being substandard. A customer of mine brought me a 750 Holley for rebuilding and when I pulled it apart it looked like yours, flakeing and crumbling in layers. I contacted the local Holley dealer and was told that due to this problem Holley would exchange it. This was 2 or 3 years ago and I don't know if Holley will still honor the exchange. Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I can see your carb is junk. Holley had a bad run of carbs due to raw materials being substandard. A customer of mine brought me a 750 Holley for rebuilding and when I pulled it apart it looked like yours, flakeing and crumbling in layers. I contacted the local Holley dealer and was told that due to this problem Holley would exchange it. This was 2 or 3 years ago and I don't know if Holley will still honor the exchange. Never hurts to ask.
Cool thanks for the input I will try getting ahold of Holley, and see what they say.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ran the date codes online and found that my carb is part of the bad batch.:(((((( problem is now I need to find the receipt so I can get it exchanged. Apparently this run of carbs was made with aluminum from none other than (DUH DUH DUH) CHina:))ThumbsDwn

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Just ran the date codes online and found that my carb is part of the bad batch.:(((((( problem is now I need to find the receipt so I can get it exchanged. Apparently this run of carbs was made with aluminum from none other than (DUH DUH DUH) CHina:))ThumbsDwn
If the Holley dealer refuses to honor the exchange without a sales receipt ask them if they would at least exchange thru Holley's reconditioned carb division. Holley takes returned warrantied carbs, sent to their rebuilding division and sold thru some of their dealers. Seems to me that the date code and list number should be enough for them to exchange the carb without question, with or without receipt. The carb I exchanged for my customer was without receipt and it was not bought from the Holley dealer I buy from. My customer was very happy but I lost a rebuild job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts