Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I am currently sanding my sanger bottom. I have purchased some evercoat gel kote to use and I have the mold release also. Has anyone had experience with this product before on here so I dont make a common mistake!!:)coffee

· Registered
2,145 Posts
OK guys I am currently sanding my sanger bottom. I have purchased some evercoat gel kote to use and I have the mold release also. Has anyone had experience with this product before on here so I dont make a common mistake!!:)coffee
If you plan on spraying the gelcoat thru an HVLP spray gun, you will need to add Duratec Hi-Gloss Additive or something comparable to the gelcoat..If you add the hi-gloss additive you will not need to use PVA/mold release...

· Banned
45 Posts
question

sangster i have a question for you, i read somewhere that the duratec additive you mention actually weakens the gelcoat?(or some gels dont work too well with it) from thinning out too much(1 to 1) and the better method is thinning it with styrene or acetone(anymore than 25% is too much?) along with using the mold release or something else i cant think of at this time. A
Also can you use the gel/duratec over that special buildable primer they make(cant think of that name either sorry)
just curious and looking to learn as you seem to know your stuff. sorry for the run on sentence.
thanks, ted

· Registered
2,145 Posts
sangster i have a question for you, i read somewhere that the duratec additive you mention actually weakens the gelcoat?(or some gels dont work too well with it) from thinning out too much(1 to 1) and the better method is thinning it with styrene or acetone(anymore than 25% is too much?) along with using the mold release or something else i cant think of at this time. A
Also can you use the gel/duratec over that special buildable primer they make(cant think of that name either sorry)
just curious and looking to learn as you seem to know your stuff. sorry for the run on sentence.
thanks, ted
Ted, It's my understanding that some manufactures do not recommend Duratec because it not their product line..I've used it with many gelcoats with no evidence of it weaking the gel...Styrene or Acetone will thin gel, but will not give you the hi-gloss finish that duratec additive produces.. Duratec has high build polyester & vinylester primers that are designed to be used with their finishes..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.