Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple quick questions, switching back over to logs from OT headers....

Are the bolts that hold the log to the block anything special or can I find them at home depot etc? I want to buy a new set instead of reusing what was on there. Stainless of course...

Any recommendations for a manifold gasket?

Thanks

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I have ss allen on mine....Home D is limited so you might want to try your local hardware. I also run a good set of felpro on mine to ensure no leaks but I also have the through bolt. I never had any luck with the small flange ford logs. I had to make a special wrench just to tighten them.

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, thanks!

Anyone know an east coast retailler that sells the butterfly type flappers?

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Couple more questions...

1 - what is the best way to cut the hose that connects the snails to the tips?

2 - best way to make the hole in the transom for the tips bigger?

3 - some of the threads on the head feel a little crappy when I try to screw a bolt in there, anything I can do to smooth it out?

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
Couple more questions...

I used a hacksaw to cut....just make sure you get a good measurement. Sometime you need to have an angle depending on location.
I have used a dremel and air tools(bigger bits). Get some marine silicone to install tips/bolts.

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got any pictures of your set up Krusn?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Couple more questions...

3 - some of the threads on the head feel a little crappy when I try to screw a bolt in there, anything I can do to smooth it out?
If you're a wood worker or know someone who is a router makes a nice cleen cut to enlarge the holes.

As far as the ruff threads in the heads, run a thread chaser through the holes with some lube (WD40, oil) but preferably not a tap. Chasers cleen up the threads, taps cut thuss removing material which I would try to avoid.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
why dont you use gasket thats what i use and have had no problems
Me personally, I like silicone because it will compensate for any imperfections in the sealing surfaces, such as pitting or warpage and has proven to me to hold up quite well, works on any motor, pluss @ $6.00 a tube why mess with gaskets.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Glue in plywood plugs, then drill the center you want, and drill them out with the hole-saw. if going from three inch to four inch, you have lots of wiggle room to align them up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Glue in plywood plugs, then drill the center you want, and drill them out with the hole-saw. if going from three inch to four inch, you have lots of wiggle room to align them up perfectly.
X's 2 heres some Josh just finished on Gabes boat ,just fill them and relocate ,its cake just takes patience ..

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Have you thought of using studs if you have enough room to manipulate the logs to get them off? That way you're not messing with the threads every time you remove the logs. I have studs on mine with no problems noted.

As for cutting the hose, remember as some mentioned the angle. I had to cut mine at a slight angle to make up for the difference between the exhaust and the tips. I took one measurement from the top of the exhaust at the snail and the bottom. On my setup, it was over one inch difference. As pictured here too, double clamp that hose on if you can.

·
History Repeating
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent some time this evening running a lubed up thread cleaner into the exhaust bolt holes, they are all buttery smooth now, thanks for the tips! Also cleaned up the gasket surface on the heads, next step is making the transom holes bigger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts