Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever see it, just watched it for the first time, what a friken shame that so much television is wasted on all the bull shit "reality" shows, why dont more networks follow the lead of this show, they just did a complete makeover for a family with handicapped kids, holy crap, it was pretty moving, if I were one of the asinine housewives, or worse yet, the House husbands producers, I would be ashamed of the money spent on those shows, when the money could go to these shows instead...that actually do something good!!

OK off the soap box!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ever see it, just watched it for the first time, what a friken shame that so much television is wasted on all the bull shit "reality" shows, why dont more networks follow the lead of this show, they just did a complete makeover for a family with handicapped kids, holy crap, it was pretty moving, if I were one of the asinine housewives, or worse yet, the House husbands producers, I would be ashamed of the money spent on those shows, when the money could go to these shows instead...that actually do something good!!

OK off the soap box!!
I know it is advertising for their companies and I also know it is great promo but you got to give the TV show, Sears, Ford and a few others that spend tons of money supporting this show and these families along with the shows other advertisers some great credit..It is very heart warming to see this show all the time, makes you proud to be an American...living in America.....sorry not a shameless plug for our country......Most of the show families already do something special for other less fortunate people and it is great seeing them also appreciated, giving them a step above, a second head start.....Thanks to all involved.
OK back to our bullshit....:D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have watched this with my family numerous times, all I gotta say is...I cried more than half of the time...

Sometimes it gets a little thick, but that's how drama works.

I do get a little tired of Ty's secret project, but you have to like Ty to like the show...;)

The people they help need help bad, sometimes they have put themselves in the pickle they're in, but normally not...

Heaven has a special place for the people involved....

On with our scheduled programming..

·
Islander Trailer Trash#23
1,520 Posts
I worked two of the shows several years back. I had the opportunity to have dinner w/the producer of the shows one night. He explained to me that the purpose of the show was to make people do the same thing they're doing all across america. Another words, he wanted to see every community across the US helping one another. I respect anyone trying to send that type of message to all of us. My community up in the SB Mountains does something similar - It's called Christmas in April. Every April a group of volunteers spruce up a number of homes. They do everything from re-roofing, paint, build new decks, plumbing, electrical, and yard cleanup.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I am home two to four months a year and have no tele where i work, My last time home i caught the show and thought it was one of the most worthwhile things i have seen in a long time, it was a Woman that taught swimming lessons to kids and they were going to condemn her house and she was going to lose her only source of income. What those people did for her was beyond cool. It restored my faith in humanity. I hope the show lives forever.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I worked two of the shows several years back. I had the opportunity to have dinner w/the producer of the shows one night. He explained to me that the purpose of the show was to make people do the same thing they're doing all across america. Another words, he wanted to see every community across the US helping one another. I respect anyone trying to send that type of message to all of us. My community up in the SB Mountains does something similar - It's called Christmas in April. Every April a group of volunteers spruce up a number of homes. They do everything from re-roofing, paint, build new decks, plumbing, electrical, and yard cleanup.
That is cool, i am real gun shy about helpng people did it for too many years for nothing!............... (parents had a body shop).

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Another good show that is like Extreme Makeover But for Car's is called NASCAR Angels, They take older run down cars to a good year service store and go thru it pretty good and make the car varry nice and give it back at the end of the show the same way this show does with everyone showing everything they have done to the car.:)devil

http://www.nascar.com/auto/angels/

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Another good show that is like Extreme Makeover But for Car's is called NASCAR Angels, They take older run down cars to a good year service store and go thru it pretty good and make the car varry nice and give it back at the end of the show the same way this show does with everyone showing everything they have done to the car.:)devil

Saw that once and yes its cool. Most of us here probably make pretty good money and have a hard time understanding a brake job could take food off the table.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts

Rustys deal right?

·
Uber Caffeinated
1,090 Posts
I know it is advertising for their companies and I also know it is great promo but you got to give the TV show, Sears, Ford and a few others that spend tons of money supporting this show and these families along with the shows other advertisers some great credit..It is very heart warming to see this show all the time, makes you proud to be an American...living in America.....sorry not a shameless plug for our country......Most of the show families already do something special for other less fortunate people and it is great seeing them also appreciated, giving them a step above, a second head start.....Thanks to all involved.
OK back to our bullshit....:D
Don't have to be American to appreciate this program. ;) I don't tear up for every episode but a few have really hit me hard. I love the before and after clips and I love seeing the family's reaction after they "Move that bus!" :D It's a really great feel good show - bit of a rarity these days. :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Don't have to be American to appreciate this program. ;) I don't tear up for every episode but a few have really hit me hard. I love the before and after clips and I love seeing the family's reaction after they "Move that bus!" :D It's a really great feel good show - bit of a rarity these days. :)
You are 100% correct, I even saw a show in your neck of the woods (well your country) that did the same thing....would be great to see it happen all around the world...:)

·
#245 ITT
233 Posts
I think Extreme Makeover is a crock of sh**.

Yeah, let me make 15 kids from 15 different women and not be able to hold down a job or buy a decent house, ABC and corporate America will come out and build me a new house. Gee, did they ignore cure times on concrete, stucco and drywall mud to build this 5,000 square foot palace for me in 2 days? What about building inspectors and permit approvals? The show is crap.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and family help? Maybe families shouldn't have more kids than they can afford. Maybe people need to learn to look after themselves, rather than depend on everyone else helping them out.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Extreme Makeover is a crock of sh**.

Yeah, let me make 15 kids from 15 different women and not be able to hold down a job or buy a decent house, ABC and corporate America will come out and build me a new house. Gee, did they ignore cure times on concrete, stucco and drywall mud to build this 5,000 square foot palace for me in 2 days? What about building inspectors and permit approvals? The show is crap.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility and family help? Maybe families shouldn't have more kids than they can afford. Maybe people need to learn to look after themselves, rather than depend on everyone else helping them out.
Well now, this looks like a candidate for ass post of week, or even year, you are uninformed, and your IQ is shinning now, some people that saw it will be pissed at you for the comments, I just feel sorry for you, and your poor parents, hopefully they had some children that were not mentally disabled like you!!

Im sure they completely ignored cure times, and bypassed the building permits issues, heres an idea Einstein, why dont you research the public records for the builds, and get back to us with the results of them building illegal structures, hell, you could be a real "MAN"!!

If you dont know about something, why show your ass and make stupid comments like this?

The family in question had handicapped kids, of different levels, and when you talk shit about kids, especially handicapped ones you open a scab on my ass, and I will take you down, we dont have many rules here, but kids and the handicapped are of limits!!

The show last night was two fold, making the house accessible for he handicapped kids was on rebuild, and the other was a coffee shop owned by a guy that was handicapped, who hired the handicapped, but was limited to who he could hire due to the small size of the shop, so the makeover rebuilt the shop, allowing room for handicapped people to move around in.

Neither one of the subjects ever asked for any help, from anyone, but they did receive the makeovers, take your ignorant comments somewhere else....

Oh and we will be waiting for your research on the permits, doubtful you will get off your ass to prove yourself worthy of breathing our air, so Im sure your next comments will not be directed to the permits issue will it? tick tock tick tock...

Hurry Im sure a lot more people are waiting to see the other side of your ass:D:D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well now, this looks like a candidate for ass post of week, or even year, you are uninformed, and your IQ is shinning now, some people that saw it will be pissed at you for the comments, I just feel sorry for you, and your poor parents, hopefully they had some children that were not mentally disabled like you!!

Im sure they completely ignored cure times, and bypassed the building permits issues, heres an idea Einstein, why dont you research the public records for the builds, and get back to us with the results of them building illegal structures, hell, you could be a real "MAN"!!

If you dont know about something, why show your ass and make stupid comments like this?

The family in question had handicapped kids, of different levels, and when you talk shit about kids, especially handicapped ones you open a scab on my ass, and I will take you down, we dont have many rules here, but kids and the handicapped are of limits!!

The show last night was two fold, making the house accessible for he handicapped kids was on rebuild, and the other was a coffee shop owned by a guy that was handicapped, who hired the handicapped, but was limited to who he could hire due to the small size of the shop, so the makeover rebuilt the shop, allowing room for handicapped people to move around in.

Neither one of the subjects ever asked for any help, from anyone, but they did receive the makeovers, take your ignorant comments somewhere else....

Oh and we will be waiting for your research on the permits, doubtful you will get off your ass to prove yourself worthy of breathing our air, so Im sure your next comments will not be directed to the permits issue will it? tick tock tick tock...

Hurry Im sure a lot more people are waiting to see the other side of your ass:D:D

Holy Hell!, Get em:|err:|err:|err:|err:|err

X100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000+

GT :)hand

·
#245 ITT
233 Posts

My girlfriend has a grandson that is a downs-syndrome child and her kids don't ask for handouts because of it. Her son is in the military, serving our country (and we are both proud of him) and her daughter-in-law does a huge service within her church groups, helping the truly-needy (as well as raising 3 kids on her own while her husband is serving in Afghanistan). I don't seem to remember making any comments in my post about handicapped kids and I would never dare to downgrade or slight a person's handicap. Plus, if the 'needy' families don't send in a request video to ABC, how does the show hear about them?

I don't have time to research every build on every show, as a matter of fact, I don't give a rats about any of it. My girlfriend watches the show religiously and I sometimes watch it with a grain of salt.

I was speaking in generalities, remember it's TV and it's intent is to sell advertising dollars and make money for shareholders. If the show tugs at your heartstrings, then they have truly reached their target audience.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My girlfriend has a grandson that is a downs-syndrome child and her kids don't ask for handouts because of it. Her son is in the military, serving our country (and we are both proud of him) and her daughter-in-law does a huge service within her church groups, helping the truly-needy (as well as raising 3 kids on her own while her husband is serving in Afghanistan). I don't seem to remember making any comments in my post about handicapped kids and I would never dare to downgrade or slight a person's handicap. Plus, if the 'needy' families don't send in a request video to ABC, how does the show hear about them?

I don't have time to research every build on every show, as a matter of fact, I don't give a rats about any of it. My girlfriend watches the show religiously and I sometimes watch it with a grain of salt.

I was speaking in generalities, remember it's TV and it's intent is to sell advertising dollars and make money for shareholders. If the show tugs at your heartstrings, then they have truly reached their target audience.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
All I have to say to that is that Bad sh!t happens to good people. It's nice to see that someone out there gives two sh!ts and actually does something about it.:)devil

Better than watching some filthy rich celebrity learn how to dance with a profesional dancer then enter a damn contest, that there is a waste of airtime (in my personal opinion ;) ).

If more people did things like ABC and Sears, the world just might be a better place, instead they get criticized for making a buck or two while at the same time changing someones life forever, not for a week, forever.

Some of these people just need a leg up, I would be willing to bet they pay it forward several times over, maybe not all but most....:)bulb

If I were in the positions some of these people were in, I would prey to god (BTW not a religous man) that someone would pick me up...Thankfully I have been blessed and am not.

I am also not in a position to give what some of these people give up to be able to get some of this stuff accomplished, but I would if i could.

GT :)hand

1 - 20 of 38 Posts