Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I decided to take a quick get away trip to Lake Elsinore to blow off some steam and clear my mind. Day started out pretty well, enjoyed the water, got very rough on the east side I believe that is and really couldn't take that wakes. Knowingly I was going the wrong way but I was staying as close to the middle as possible just for safety reasons. All of a sudden Elsinore PD pulls me over and gives me the spill on pulling me over and I told them the honest truth yet they tried to hit me with every possible violation I could get. I talked my ass out of that ticket and thanks to the one officer who understood what I was doing.

So I leave the lake and I'm heading home on the 15 going back to Rancho and my truck steering went out! This happens as my truck is about to go around a corner. At the last second the power steering comes back but I ended up getting tire marks on a BMW! God was with me entirely because that scene without the steering coming back was going to be tragic undoubtedly. No damage was done to me my truck or boat but it was a shock.

To all the travelers and boaters out there be safe because you never know when something so unexpected may happen!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
What kinda truck? Glad everyone is ok!

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
You sure your tie rod ends didn't break. Had the same problem on my old lifted Chevy til I built my own and did it with hime joints

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crazy you say that because I just bought some new ones and have a appointment Wednesday to get them installed. They didn't break tho. It was just weird how it seemed my truck was in a groove and wouldn't come out until I really gave the wheel some muscle

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
96-99 Trucks had a issue with the handwheel position sensor at the base of the column that wld cause some weird steering at speed. 04 trucks cld break the ps pumpshaft and do quite often also the rack and pinion wld feel like was binding aftr the worm gear and gta lotta slack in it.have them check the rack when they do tierods.the pumpsjaft deal isnt ur prob cuz once it breaks thats the end of ps till its replaced.sounds lile rack and pinion to me.

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
I had this happen to me..I have an '07 Chev Silv 1500...I was coming down a offramp at a high rate of speed (not towing) trying to make the light....steering went out just as hit the intersection. came back on just as muscled my way through the intersection. This was about a year ago. Only happened that one time and never happened again. Steering fuilds were at normal levels too.

sure scared the shit out of me.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
That's all really good info impatient1. Any issues like that with the 04 Trailblazer 4x4 5.3 EXT or 06 2500 Duramax 4x4?
Dmax truck may break a pumpshaft at some point same with tblazer but some never do.lotta weak ps pumpshafts got oput in there for awhile.the dmax truck has a steering gear nstead of rack and they were pretty trouble free plus its has hydraboost brakes so the ps pressure also boosts the brakes.trucks with rack and pinions usually got a new rack before warranty went out at our dealer.if i felt the worm gear slack id replace it for em before thwy went outta warranty.done alot of racks lol

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before this whole episode transpired I scheduled my truck to get the tie rods replaced: I take the truck in today and when they're replacing the tie rod the rack and pinion busts and pours power steering all over the ground. I'm not sure if the mechanic messed it up or coincedentally this is the reason I was in the accident. Still pissed it even happened tho!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Had alot of slack in the gearing and worm prob turned wrong against its pinion gear..doubt it was techs fault kinda sounded as if u had rack issues that caused the binding u felt..changed so many of them that warranty paid around 1.9hra to replace em n set toe, was doin em in 30mins on and off my lift and out the door.its jus a weak point in those trucks.

trailblazers jus have the occassional drive belt idler thatll need replacement and maybe a tstat outlet or fuel module.im actually wantin one myself.im still driving my 2000 s10 blazer lol.i really like tblazers tho n trust the ones made after 2003. The firat production of the i6 engine had alot of valve seat warping issues.hated changing those heads everything ia timed by dial indications :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts