Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have one of these? If so how do you like it? Not sure about the new 6.4L Motor any feed back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We have two F-550 with the 6.4 L and have not had any issues yet. They are 2008's and we have had them since 11/07 and put 45,000 miles on each one. Now the POS 6.0 is another topic altogether!

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
We have two F-550 with the 6.4 L and have not had any issues yet. They are 2008's and we have had them since 11/07 and put 45,000 miles on each one. Now the POS 6.0 is another topic altogether!

X2, love mine except for fuel mileage. I've got 36k on mine. Got an F550 also thats loaded to 17k lbs 24/7 and still working great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the 6.4 in a 2008 F-350 and my only complaint was the bad gas mileage other than that it was great.
Ditto that, I had the F450 & would get like 10 MPG empty & 9 MPG pulling a 20K lbs trailer other than fuel milage, great truck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you change exhaust and intake will that help the mileage. I luv that truck also but the mileage is kinda scary

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In regards to the 6.4, on the diesel boards, I have read about some of guys complaining about high levels of metals in their oil analysis. The oil reports are also showing high levels of fuel in the oil which they say is probably the cause of the high level of metals. Because of the increased level of fuel in the oil, I have also heard of guys having up to 3 quarts of extra oil on a 3,300 mile oil change. Some say it is caused by the Regen process, where the injectors squirt fuel during the exhaust stroke. How this will affect the life of the engine will yet to be seen but I think I’ll just stay with my dependable 7.3.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
However, on the flipside I have seen the 6.4 chipped with some exhaust modifications pull over 500 HP to the rear wheels. The metals and fuel decreased in the oil report also. Interesting ….

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
In regards to the 6.4, on the diesel boards, I have read about some of guys complaining about high levels of metals in their oil analysis. The oil reports are also showing high levels of fuel in the oil which they say is probably the cause of the high level of metals. Because of the increased level of fuel in the oil, I have also heard of guys having up to 3 quarts of extra oil on a 3,300 mile oil change. Some say it is caused by the Regen process, where the injectors squirt fuel during the exhaust stroke. How this will affect the life of the engine will yet to be seen but I think I’ll just stay with my dependable 7.3.
My oil level doesn't change on my 6k oil change interval.

·
Banned
138 Posts
The other thing is don't be surprised if you put it in park and the rpm's jump to 1200 or so, from what I understand its just burning some stuff off...and if you are standing behind it when this happens, watch out the exhaust gets hotter than hell.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
I have one and have had it since 8/07. Been happy with it until last month when it became my full time ride. Radiator started leaking on the way to Havi, luckily it didn't leave me stranded. Engine has an oil leak, they say it's the "bed plate". http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/bed-plate-oil-leak-211414/

I've had Blackstone do the last 3 oil analysis (19k on the truck now) and they say the engine is breaking in nice.

Mine is a job 1 and I think they fixed the radiator problems on builds 2-X.

Other than that, I really like the truck, well with the exception of the 10-12 MPG...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Really, so whats this?
Like I said, just what some of the guys are complaining about with the fuel contaminating the oil. I am not saying everyone is experiecing this just what some of them are saying on the boards. I do not have any actual experience with the 6.4 but if I bought one, just like Chipster I would be getting my oil analiyzed just to make sure. I am not trying to piss in anyone's Wheaties here, just take the information for what it is worth....

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Like I said, just what some of the guys are complaining about with the fuel contaminating the oil. I am not saying everyone is experiecing this just what some of them are saying on the boards. I do not have any actual experience with the 6.4 but if I bought one, just like Chipster I would be getting my oil analiyzed just to make sure. I am not trying to piss in anyone's Wheaties here, just take the information for what it is worth....
lol, no I understood that, was answering to the other guy. :) I was just saying I haven't seen the oil level deal. Havent had it analyzed however.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I have one and have had it since 8/07. Been happy with it until last month when it became my full time ride. Radiator started leaking on the way to Havi, luckily it didn't leave me stranded. Engine has an oil leak, they say it's the "bed plate". http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/bed-plate-oil-leak-211414/

I've had Blackstone do the last 3 oil analysis (19k on the truck now) and they say the engine is breaking in nice.

Mine is a job 1 and I think they fixed the radiator problems on builds 2-X.

Other than that, I really like the truck, well with the exception of the 10-12 MPG...
It's a good looking truck too, even better when Jerri's driving it.;):D

·
?
154 Posts
We have 6.4 550 and it's been nothing but problems. It has issue with cooling. The dealer says they devolope air pockets in the cooling system. It's been to the dealer 6 times in the last 7 month. When it's running right it's a great truck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts