Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I sold my rebuilt pump to a guy on the east coast. I packaged up the pump by mounting the pump to a piece of 5/8 in ply that was as long and as wide as the pump it self. I then wrapped the pump with bubble wrap, two boxes then put packing peanuts and put it all into one last larger box. He received the pump today and found this:|err
Luckily i have another suction housing i can send him......

Attachments

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
That BLOWS was it insured ??

·
triple digit sightseer
56 Posts
i hear thats a common problem encountered when shipping pumps, the shipper undoubtedly dropped the box at some point causing the damage, definitely make a claim...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Stand your ground with them , they will typically deny, deny, deny hoping you'll give in, we've been shipping loads of jets a year UPS all over the world your good as long as it was packaged to thier specs , about one out 20 end up this way ! Good Luck

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm gonna go on the otherside here and say it wasn't packaged well enough.

with no layer of cushion under the plywood, any drop on that ply would possibly

break whatever it's bolted to........ in your case, the suction housing......

box in a box, and spray-in expanding foam........ for next time.

--Sherpa

good luck on your claim.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Not Trying To Hate But I Overpack When I Ship. When I Sell Online I Want The Customer To Be Happy So I Go Out Of My Way To Make Sure It Will Happen. Its Shipping Anything Can Happen.

·
About 500' AGL
2,470 Posts
I'm gonna go on the otherside here and say it wasn't packaged well enough.

with no layer of cushion under the plywood, any drop on that ply would possibly

break whatever it's bolted to........ in your case, the suction housing......

box in a box, and spray-in expanding foam........ for next time.

--Sherpa

good luck on your claim.
this is exactly right. You need to package with expanding foam. It's the only way to truely protect something that is being shipped by FedEx/UPS. Those guys are hard on shit. You don't need the expensive stuff in the below video but a couple of trash bags and cans of spray foam will do the same thing.
YouTube - ‪Foam Packaging‬‏

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
F#%k fedex!

Just recieved my box from Schoenfeld headers and a once was square box, is now round, the parts flying around the round box, and majority of the bubble wrap was hanging out the box, I yelled at the guy not more than 25' from my door step to stop, clearly he heard me and fired the truck up- drove off! hows that for service!?!?!
luckilly the parts are Stainless and have been tweaked back into round! Fedex should change their colors to Shortbus yellow and all drivers wear chinstraps with their pro-tecs!

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
Just recieved my box from Schoenfeld headers and a once was square box, is now round, the parts flying around the round box, and majority of the bubble wrap was hanging out the box, I yelled at the guy not more than 25' from my door step to stop, clearly he heard me and fired the truck up- drove off! hows that for service!?!?!
luckilly the parts are Stainless and have been tweaked back into round! Fedex should change their colors to Shortbus yellow and all drivers wear chinstraps with their pro-tecs!
I don't know which one, UPS or FEDEX is the worst in handling parcels. My stuff normally gets send from the US, onto Germany, then England and finally to Johannesburg in South Africa.

Some of the square parcels arrive in a cylindrical shape and the cylindrical ones square.

I think as soon as they see "Fragile" on the parcel they go nuts :D

Lucky for me Duane at HTP has the art of packaging down to a fine art. I have to open some of the parcels with power tools accompanied by lot of swearing.

Parcels send with USPS was handled properly.

Wikus

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Fed ex sent me out to a box company to package a blower to be shipped. I initially thought thatspart of what they do:)coffee Went to UPS and they boxed and shipped it for me with no issues. If they box it. Then they won't have an insurance coverage issue.:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
i have had them broke also, i now put a wooden arch under the bowl and a wooden board bolted on the discharge side of the bowl so that the g force will not lever on the suction board, wrap in plastic and expandy-foam the rest. havent had one broke since, doesnt mean they wont.

·
Registered
829 Posts
there was another larger box on the outside of that one with packing material. The pic you are seeing is the inside box

Hopefully they give you a refund of some sort. I have shipped less expensive items in wood pallets or I made the shipping box out of wood. I once shipped an item that cost more to ship because of the wood frame I made for it, than the actual cost of the item. I worked at DHL years ago, and wood boxes were treated better because it was either your foot getting hurt or making sure the wooden box didn't fall. :p (Wood boxes never fell)

Either way, good luck.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I sold my blower with carbs to a guy and had the UPS store box it up so I would be sure it was done the "right" way.

Well the guy gets the blower and tells me the carbs were destroyed:)st

At first UPS said they would not cover it untill they found out it was one of their own stores that did the packaging and finally a few MONTHS later the guy got a check;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts