Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i want to start doing my family tree. has anyone ever done theirs? where do you start? get forms and information on family? where have you started from? any help i can get would be great.
thank you:)

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
The first thing to do is interview family members. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Find out their exact birth dates and where they were born. Also find out any info they can recall about THEIR parents and grandparents. See if there are any family bibles with birth/death information. Saved news clippings about births, deaths marriages, etc.

Make sure you get legal and family names. Your grandma Emma may really be Emily.

Then plug any info you have into www.familysearch.com. The site is run by the LDS church and has free search abilities. It's one of the most comprehensive family tree data bases out there.

You can also sign up for Family Tree Maker. (www.geneology.com) It cross references your information with people and records that others have submitted and also allows access to US census records.

I did mine and my wife's (http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/e/l/Alan-J-Nelson/index.html?Welcome=993615597) and found some amazing facts about our families.

Don't take first discoveries as fact. Research and question everything. The story about your great great great grandfather being on the Mayflower MAY just be "family legend" and not based in truth. But you can also go to www.ellisisland.org to search for passenger lists of immigrants processed through Ellis Island.

Good luck and have fun. But be prepared for months, if not years, of research to find out the truth. I started mine over 10 years ago, and am still finding new ancestors.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alan thanks for all the sites. my father's family is from back east and my mother was cherokee (sp) indian, thats where i am going to run into probelms getting anything out of the indian nation is going to be tough. never met my grand parents on either side. moved out west when i was just a baby. both parents have passed. its going to be a real chore getting it done but you have to start somewhere.:)hand

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Don't know how to do that but my family blood runs thru both the Hatfields and McCoys. Maybe that is why the feud started in the first place :) I consider myself Hillbilly Royalty.....

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
The first thing to do is interview family members. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Find out their exact birth dates and where they were born. Also find out any info they can recall about THEIR parents and grandparents. See if there are any family bibles with birth/death information. Saved news clippings about births, deaths marriages, etc.

Make sure you get legal and family names. Your grandma Emma may really be Emily.

Then plug any info you have into www.familysearch.com. The site is run by the LDS church and has free search abilities. It's one of the most comprehensive family tree data bases out there.

You can also sign up for Family Tree Maker. (www.genealogy.com) It cross references your information with people and records that others have submitted and also allows access to US census records.

I did mine and my wife's (http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/e/l/Alan-J-Nelson/index.html?Welcome=993615597) and found some amazing facts about our families.

Don't take first discoveries as fact. Research and question everything. The story about your great great great grandfather being on the Mayflower MAY just be "family legend" and not based in truth. But you can also go to www.ellisisland.org to search for passenger lists of immigrants processed through Ellis Island.

Good luck and have fun. But be prepared for months, if not years, of research to find out the truth. I started mine over 10 years ago, and am still finding new ancestors.
This BoatCop guy's very good! My wife and I have been doing geneology for years. His ^ instruction is letter perfect! It's rewarding to hear from the seasoned members of the family at a time like this as they can be a wealth of information even though they suck at the family Thanksgiving football game. Make good use of them. There may even be someone who has an old family bible or who has genealogy written somewhere. Once you get all you can from the parents/grandparents/aunts/etc. then follow BoatCop's instructions for best results. There are even genealogy centers run by the LDS Church open to the general public that are expert in assisting. Good luck! We've had a ball!

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
alan thanks for all the sites. my father's family is from back east and my mother was cherokee (sp) indian, thats where i am going to run into probelms getting anything out of the indian nation is going to be tough. never met my grand parents on either side. moved out west when i was just a baby. both parents have passed. its going to be a real chore getting it done but you have to start somewhere.:)hand
That might actually be the easiest part.

Cherokee genealogy is probably the best documented lineage out there. My wife's Cherokee line was relatively easy to research. Let me know a few of the family (Cherokee) names, and I can steer you n the right direction.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alan i found my mothers birth & death information on this site http://www.ancestry.com/ i was able to get her mothers last
name in which i never knew what it was. now i am trying to get my fathers information. i have to find out how to find more information about my mothers side but it does not list first names for her parents.
thanks again:)devil

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are there any free search sites out there to find people or do you have to pay for all of them?

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
if i was able to hook my dads hard drive from his PC up to mine i could get Tons of Info for you .. he spent the last 10 years of his life tracing our family tree and found out our family was actually like Royalty back in England ..this country was pretty much started by my great gramps 1st gov of Mass from 1629 til 16something (about 30 yrs) also the leader of the Colonial army at that time and before that dad traced as far back as too 1327(before that records were not kept as well) .. our family owned the Tin mines in England and Tin was like gold back then .. great gramps wanted to start a New Religion and came to the New found land (USA) in 1627 and bascially didnt want to be catholic any more and our family started the Puritan religion . very cool stuff to find thru your family tree's .. Basically dad found out anyone with the last name Endicott is a relative one way or another .. and the name changed from English Spelling to American spelling .. he even found out one of the 1st gov. sons married a Quaker and that was a NO NO back then it was all arranged marriages so OUR side of the family was given 20 shillings and made to leave the town and dis owned .. no wonder im a ******* lol .. i started getting into it when dad died but with out his help i was lost ... good luck on your quest

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if i was able to hook my dads hard drive from his PC up to mine i could get Tons of Info for you .. he spent the last 10 years of his life tracing our family tree and found out our family was actually like Royalty back in England ..this country was pretty much started by my great gramps 1st gov of Mass from 1629 til 16something (about 30 yrs) also the leader of the Colonial army at that time and before that dad traced as far back as too 1327(before that records were not kept as well) .. our family owned the Tin mines in England and Tin was like gold back then .. great gramps wanted to start a New Religion and came to the New found land (USA) in 1627 and bascially didnt want to be catholic any more and our family started the Puritan religion . very cool stuff to find thru your family tree's .. Basically dad found out anyone with the last name Endicott is a relative one way or another .. and the name changed from English Spelling to American spelling .. he even found out one of the 1st gov. sons married a Quaker and that was a NO NO back then it was all arranged marriages so OUR side of the family was given 20 shillings and made to leave the town and dis owned .. no wonder im a ******* lol .. i started getting into it when dad died but with out his help i was lost ... good luck on your quest
yes so far i am having fun doing it. it just takes alot of time checking all the different records.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does anyone know of some good books to buy?

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
my family tree is a stick with no branches ;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just alittle update. made some real good progess started going on anchestry.com and looking up people. I was able to find my Aunt just recently which i have not seen in 17 years, used classmate.com to find my cousin which i lost contact with over 30 years ago. here's a picture of my mother and oldest brother taken some time in the mid 50's.

its been alot of work but well worth the time to found out where you come from. lots of story's now.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Just apply for some Indian cash benefits, and they'll do the research for you. :D

At some point you might want to do a DNA search.
www.familytreedna.com
You might find that one of your long lost relatives has already done the work for you. ;)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just apply for some Indian cash benefits, and they'll do the research for you. :D

At some point you might want to do a DNA search.
www.familytreedna.com
You might find that one of your long lost relatives has already done the work for you. ;)
how do you apply for Indian cash benefits?:)hand

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I went onto this site www.familysearch.com and I was amazed that they give out SSN's.
Of dead people. Those numbers are flagged on credit reporting bureaus.

It's against the law now to include full social numbers on any publicly filed document including tax liens and in divore cases. Just an FWIW, carry on.... :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Facebook is also a great resource.

Just a few weeks ago we had some Okie contact us, who shares my brothers exact name, and sez "Howdy cuzin!"

Family tree solved and dated back to King James times or some shiznet like that, I still have to follow-up with the guy. Our research is done done done. Man, that was easy :D

I know the Ancestry subscriptions are EXPENSIVE. If you live close to any Federal archive records center, they have troves of old bats down there who make a living do geneaology research, and for cheap too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts