Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has always been my favorite. it seems to change owners every 5 years or so. The Dynacam. The components are shown toward the end of the video.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
That's always been one of my favs too. You could have a little fun with the design, change the crank cam to 8 strokes per revolution... or more... or less. Gotta believe it's one of the smoothest running designs, right there with turbines. :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wow. pretty cool design. I can tell by the video its from the 70's....so why has it not made it yet. whats wrong with the design?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mine would have to be what they are using on trains...which I am sure will be main stream in vehicles within the next 20 years. You have a generator making electricity...then individual electric motors turning the wheels. Sure, you have to convert energy into electricity, but there is something that makes a lot of sense to me about not having to change the direction of the energy.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Mine would have to be what they are using on trains...which I am sure will be main stream in vehicles within the next 20 years. You have a generator making electricity...then individual electric motors turning the wheels. Sure, you have to convert energy into electricity, but there is something that makes a lot of sense to me about not having to change the direction of the energy.
Suppose that would fall under transmission design. But who cares, it's all cool stuff. Not too far off of some hybrid designs in todays world. In the trains, I'm pretty sure they're done that way to transmit massive torque at nearly zero rpm.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not a bad idea but you would be adding alot of weight....I think the real world application would be an outdrive boat with a surface piercing prop. since the drive would not be mechanically connected it could be lifted at take off and lowered once on plane...turbos would be the logical power adder and you could have a boat that is quicker than a jet and faster than a v-drive???? Or i could be daydreaming...lol

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Actually, I am downright shocked we haven't seen this in heavy duty trucks yet. The gas/diesel engine would be a lot smaller as all it is doing is creating electricity...then you have much smaller electric motors at each wheel...talk about power where you need it!

I guess I always like the idea of a wenkl as well...it shocks me that in the last 100 years, we still haven't come up with an engine design that isn't fighting it's own internal rotation.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A small rotory driving your generator?
nah. engine to electric then to an electric motor would be 80% efficient at best. a rotary would have to be charging batts at full throttle while cruising. 1300hp turbo BBC generating enough power to run two remote outdrives at 520 hp....it would have to be a boat that can take advantage of remote propulsion...ie surface drives. ???

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Old but still experimental

E.J. Potter put a W-3420 into a pulling tractor.

This was a rare experimental Allison designed for bombers.

......a 24 cylinder engine which was really 2 V12s side by side, with the two crankshafts geared together.

About 150 were made @~2600 horse.....I'd give my left nut for one. Have to give the right one for fuel to run it I suppose.

Here's more about the "Michigan Madman"

ej-potter-double-ugly-530x386.jpg

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts

That was interesting !!!

Very high output ,light weight motors, that can spin sustained RPM's

Evinrude / Johnson put a rotary O/B race motor on the circuit

It won Mercury cried and it was banned.

Mazda rotary 787 won Le Mans 24 hr overall banned.

A few years back I spoke to a Mazda Rotary engine builder. N/A and turbo for aircraft / helicopter use.

About adapting and using his vertical helicopter motor oiling system
on a outboard platform.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
E.J. Potter put a W-3420 into a pulling tractor. ]
EJ Potter is one unique individual.
His claim to fame was the 283 chevy powered motorcycle back in the 1960's
No clutch, he just rocked if off the center stand and the back tire burned through the whole run. He traveled all over the world with that thing.

His stuff was rough around the edges but still ran. His Allison powered tractor won the nationals one year as I recall. Then he got into turbines.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I remember there was a compound turbo on turbo, blow thru, dual fuel, aluminum block with a turbo powered 2lb vortex intercooler, TFH killer being developed. What ever happened to that thing?:shock:
Built and ready to go. Just looking for a dyno that will hold 2000 lb/ft at 800rpm. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
That was interesting !!!

Very high output ,light weight motors, that can spin sustained RPM's

Evinrude / Johnson put a rotary O/B race motor on the circuit

It won Mercury cried and it was banned.

Mazda rotary 787 won Le Mans 24 hr overall banned.

A few years back I spoke to a Mazda Rotary engine builder. N/A and turbo for aircraft / helicopter use.

About adapting and using his vertical helicopter motor oiling system
on a outboard platform.
Who was the Mazda rotory engine builder?
Wags

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Worked on a project in the early 90's on a engine where the DOE was involved with, The engine would dwell the piston for 34 crank degrees. Jack Roush at the time was a spokesman for Ford and came to the shop near me where the engine was being built.

Smokey Yunick wrote a good letter of recommendation after the testing at Marco Labs in Mich. Smokey was an interesting guy and was fun to be around during the testing, His exact words ( This isn't lipstick on a whore )

Here s pic of the rotator.

Here is one o the test runs at Marco I'm the guy with the hat.
Brackett Invention - Brackett "Environmental Engine" Prototype - Dynamometer Run - YouTube

1 - 19 of 19 Posts