Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just pulled down his FE motor. Here's a pic of the rods. Notice the one that's not like the other ones? Hard to miss the coloration. Is this normal? He thinks not heat related because the discoloration is perfect.

I'm not a real big believer in "uniqueness" of one in a set.

Posted something in V drive w/out response. Would appreciate some input.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That is just a newer rod than the rest, it's not jacked up, but treated with copperous oxide...I don't see a problem in running it if it checkes out...

GT :)hand

·
Banned
540 Posts
The Rod isn't necessarily newer or older. The coloration means that it had a varience on the production line and was sent back for rework. After the rework was completed, just to signify it being OK to use in a regular production engine, it was copper plated. All it shows is that it's OK to use in Ford's engine production line. Most of these Rods were redone because of the balance, either gross, total weight was way off, or the big end/little end weight was off enough to pose a problem for a factory 'balance' job. It could have been reworked for dimensional varience, also ie: width or finished housing size, but most were for balance

If anything, it's the best one there due to having been looked at at least one more time than the rest. I'd use it anytime.

RR :D

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
why would they go through the work of copper plating? What does copper plating a rod do to make it better?
They copper plated it to bring it back into factory tolerance. If the pin bore or the big end bore was a few thou. too big the copper plating made the bore slightly smaller and re-machined. There is nothing wrong with that rod and is just as good as the others for reuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts