Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
They claiming was an MD-11

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510083,00.html

TOKYO — A FedEx cargo plane has crashed as it landed amid heavy winds at Tokyo's international airport and burst into flames.

A pilot and co-pilot were aboard the plane Monday but their safety was not immediately known.

Television footage show the plane appearing to bounce and bursting into flames as it skidded to a halt at Narita airport. Firetrucks have been dispatched, and the airport has been closed.

Japan's Kyodo News is reporting that the plane was an MD-11 and was on a regular flight from Guangzhou, China.

·
6,873 Posts
WOW, there is a guy on the boards that is a FEDEX pilot and flys that route, anyone on here know him...

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
WOW, there is a guy on the boards that is a FEDEX pilot and flys that route, anyone on here know him...
I know a guy that works at the oakland center in the air department but not a pilot. The aquabogies (sp)

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I have a friend that flies for FedEx and is based out of Japan so we that know him had about an hour of HIGH TENSION. Thank god it was not him but sad for those that died and their families.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The tail # was N526FE, an X Delta Airlines passenger MD-11 converted to a freighter a few years ago. A Very sad day here at LAX, our thoughts and prayers go out for the Family and Friends of the two crewmembers that were lost.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
:(
That front end took a hell of a hit. In high winds, don't airports use runways that are more aligned with the winds, or are they taxiways and not long enough for aircraft like that?

·
Really Big Member
32 Posts
Yeah, that would be me. This is the third MD-11 we have lost this way, but the first fatalities. I did not know either of the pilots on that flight, but I know they received the exact same training on windshear avoidance, recovery and bounced landing recovery that I did. We are required to fly the simulator in either Memphis or Anchorage twice a year and we also get a "line check" with an instructor pilot every year. Windshear training is an important part of the curriculum.
Everybody wants to know exactly what went wrong, but we won’t get much more information until the investigation is complete. I can tell you that it is very important to have an MD-11 exactly “in the slot” for landing, by which I mean that the pitch attitude, bank, yaw, speed and position relative to the runway must be correct within tighter tolerances than any other large airplane I have flown. The relatively small elevator just won’t allow you to correct very much for mistakes.
Then there is the element of the windshear that seems likely at the time. There are windshear conditions that the airplane (any airplane) cannot fly out of. That’s why we are trained to avoid “known windshear.” The rub comes with the definition of “known.” Just because the airport is issuing windshear advisories doesn’t automatically mean that you can’t go there. The decision falls on the captain’s shoulders.
I’m rambling because I know that it could easily have been me. I will admit to being more than a little shaken up.
Thank you all for your concern.

J. Jay Forbes

·
Registered
572 Posts
We are fortunate that we have such great pilots to depend on. I never think twice about
flying. I suppose we take our pilots a bit for granted. After the Hudson river incident and
now this very tragic event, Perhaps a nod or a respectful and grateful "thank you" would
be appropriate next time that I go somewhere and see a pilot.

Keith Sayre
Nordic Boats

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The quality of the video on the news wasn't very good , so I couldn't tell if the problem was actually a collapsing landing gear up front that caused the bouncing .:)bulb
Friend of mine experienced a hydraulic failure on takeoff of an Airbus coming back from Venezuela just over a week ago.They dropped the plane down in time to abort the takoff . He tought the plane will fall apart but it was back in the air in two hours. He's been flying a lot but said it will take some time before he's going to board a plane again :)hand

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That's what I thought too when seeing the video. The tower would tell the pilot on the approach if the gear isn't down. Saw it happen one time at the Vancouver International airport listening on the scanner at the time.

·
Really Big Member
32 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like the front landing gear wasn't down?
The landing gear was down. There is more than one video on the internet. The best one I have seen is from BBC News. It starts early enough to see the first bounce - the others start after the plane has touched down once and is back in the air. For some reason, the pilot pushes the nose over and the nose gear appears to make contact with the runway first.
I got a call from another FedEx MD-11 captain yesterday who thinks the pilot may have thought his mains were still in contact with the runway and was lowering the nose to keep from scraping the tail (another common MD-11 accident).
I saw on CNN this morning that the voice recorder and flight recorder were recovered and appeared to be in tact. The MD-11 flight recorder contains a wealth of information andI'm sure we will get the details as soon as the investigation is complete.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
The landing gear was down. There is more than one video on the internet. The best one I have seen is from BBC News. It starts early enough to see the first bounce - the others start after the plane has touched down once and is back in the air. For some reason, the pilot pushes the nose over and the nose gear appears to make contact with the runway first.
I got a call from another FedEx MD-11 captain yesterday who thinks the pilot may have thought his mains were still in contact with the runway and was lowering the nose to keep from scraping the tail (another common MD-11 accident).
I saw on CNN this morning that the voice recorder and flight recorder were recovered and appeared to be in tact. The MD-11 flight recorder contains a wealth of information andI'm sure we will get the details as soon as the investigation is complete.

Horrible accident. The video is incredible. I have never seem a jumbo jet porpoise! I am glad your not the pilot in this incident and thank you for the update and information.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
It will be very interesting to know what part of the crash killed the pilots, from an investigative stand point.

When you watch the various videos and the aircraft begins to roll left, the left wing breaks, allows the aircraft to continue it roll onto the top of the fuselage, but the height of the nose/cockpit area is not that high off the runway when it impacts the runway.

When the rescue crews get to the cockpit area, it is still very much intact, does not appear to have been crushed.

I am wondering if it was due to smoke inhalation?, blunt force trauma? or some other factor.

We really hate to see these things in aviation, especially when we've had so many good years in commercial aviation. General aviation is another subject when it comes to crashes and fatals.

Godspeed to the pilots, prayers to the families and to the Fed Ex Family of Pilots.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts