Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first found out about this new law here. A new law the President signed makes it illegal for anyone to resell certain products unless they have been tested as "safe", it not only affects businesses but also yard and garage sales as well. A PDF of the handbook from the Consumer Product Safety Commission can be read here. Yet another example of Big Brother getting involved in everything we do from day to day.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I first found out about this new law here. A new law the President signed makes it illegal for anyone to resell certain products unless they have been tested as "safe", it not only affects businesses but also yard and garage sales as well. A PDF of the handbook from the Consumer Product Safety Commission can be read here. Yet another example of Big Brother trying to get involved in everything we do from day to day.
Fixed your post for you.

As much as I would like to think that many government employees actually work, it is unlikey the Feds will be out cruising garage sales on the weekends.

Yet another example of more of our ill-gotten (tax) money WASTED lobbying for and passing stupid laws few will bother to enforce and fewer will follow, smells more like lawyers and politicians clamoring for something to do to show their "worth".

How is this "By the people"?

This shit is out of control.

Brian

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, dont see some federal agent strolling neighborhood looking for garage sales.

But what if someone buys something from your yard or garage sale, and then later sees it listed on the CPSC website and reports you. See the CPSC homepage here and notice the link labeled "Report an Unsafe Product".

Fixed your post for you.

As much as I would like to think that many government employees actually work, it is unlikey the Feds will be out cruising garage sales on the weekends.

Yet another example of more of our ill-gotten (tax) money WASTED lobbying for and passing stupid laws few will bother to enforce and fewer will follow, smells more like lawyers and politicians clamoring for something to do to show their "worth".

How is this "By the people"?

This shit is out of control.

Brian

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Agree, dont see some federal agent strolling neighborhood looking for garage sales.

But what if someone buys something from your yard or garage sale, and then later sees it listed on the CPSC website and reports you. See the CPSC homepage here and notice the link labeled "Report an Unsafe Product".
How about:

"Who TF are you?", followed by, "Have a receipt?"

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

Yep, someone ratting you out to a burocrat is the big issue/concern/fear/possibility.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Yep, someone ratting you out to a burocrat is the big issue/concern/fear/possibility.
Yea, didn't consider THAT angle.

See other thread, I collected up one of them sunbitches.

I expecially liked the multiple-language links. Nice touch.

Brian

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
People forget we now live in an "observe and report" society. Anything deemed offensive, dangerous, in violation of ones "rights" or harmful to the environment needs to be called in.
Take your pick of agency to report it to.:mad:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts

Or worse...if that child car seat is on the latest recall list that you sold at your garage sale 2 years ago are you now libel? And even though that car seat was approved and deemed safe at the time of your purchase what is the second-hand sellers libality? And if there was an accident where the child was hurt or killed, what then? What about thrift stores libality? Seems to me this opens up a whole new can-o-worms that every ambulance chasing laywer would be salivating over.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Wasn't there a particular motorcycle, I think it was Yamaha 80 or something, that was recently considered by the govt. as "banned"? Point being, say you're selling some stuff (possibly due to the messed up economy) to get extra cash, then later the item turns up on this list as "banned" by the govt. and you get held liable costing you money in the end.

Seems also to coincide with his private party taxation deal or whatever it is.

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
People forget we now live in an "observe and report" society. Anything deemed offensive, dangerous, in violation of ones "rights" or harmful to the environment needs to be called in.
Big Brother is not the gov't, it's your neighbor.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
...and more and more laws are passed to enable this.

See my other thread.

People are so stupid.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
somewhat on the same note....talk about dumbing down of society.

I started to watch a program when I got home last night(at 8) about stocks/ bonds and investing. Seemed interesting and I don't know all that I should so I thought it would be good.

I figured they would have people in the industry industry talking about the merits of each. A few minutes into the show, they were having the babies from the TV commercials explain stocks and bonds.

I turned it off, how stupid.

Brian

·
Registered
327 Posts
Big Brother is not the gov't, it's your neighbor.
Today a Cased the the local Garage sales one thing I did last year I took stock who had Obama lawn signs.You you guessed it the people who supported Obama where having Garage sales I am gonna have fun !
You wanted change its coming for you LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts