Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to share some pictures of your fiberglass seat covers? Preferrably the snap-on variety, close up views if possible. I've decided to do my own seats. Trying to decide if I should build new marine ply frames or get some fiberglass buckets and cover those. Either way I'll be covering the seats with a combination of vinyl and tweed. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Tom, what are you asking for those covers? I didn't see the price on the website. I think the fiberglass buckets are definitely the way to go. No rot, and you can pop the covers out to prevent them from weathering when storing. Plus, a heck of a lot cheaper to replace covers than have interior redone down the road IMO.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks Please Matt Check your PMs for a link and info , BTW , our Buckets and bench combined on average only weigh 45 lbs (minus upholstry) and are super strong ! Tom

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking covers Tom, thanks for sharing. Are you guys stitching those in-house? Do they snap on or are they glued?
Anyone else have some pics?
Any of you guys ever stitched your own interior/seat covers?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Need a good machine and recommend double stitching. Don't use cotten thread it will fall apart fast. Take your time and after you mess up a couple sets you will be golden, course by then you coulda bought a nice set professionally done.;)

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Need a good machine and recommend double stitching. Don't use cotten thread it will fall apart fast. Take your time and after you mess up a couple sets you will be golden, course by then you coulda bought a nice set professionally done.;)
Got a good machine for the job....still workin' on the skills:D Been practicing with vinyl and some heavy duty uv-stabilized thread.
There's a killer upholstery supply shop a few miles from my house that has a huge selection of vinyls and tweeds. We've actually already bought the materials we're gonna use, though will likely need more as there's a good chance I'll fu_ck up at least one of the two seats. Fortunately marine vinyl and tweed are pretty inexpensive...$15/yard for vinyl, $14/yard for the tweed. The material is 54" wide.
PS. Sure, I could buy a set professionally made. Could've paid a pro to do my fiberglass work, gelcoat the floor/stringers, paint the boat, do the bottom work, etc. But I'm fairly crafty, and whatever I learn now I can put to use on our future boats! This will NOT be the last set of seats we'll need.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice looking covers Tom, thanks for sharing. Are you guys stitching those in-house? Do they snap on or are they glued?
Anyone else have some pics?
Any of you guys ever stitched your own interior/seat covers?
The one of the biggest fights Rhonda and I have ever had in our lengthy marital bliss is when we tried to do upholstry :mad: No I just manufacture seats I have a local shop that does my covers , he pretty talented (when he works) and reasonable too Heres a set of snap in covers for my 20" buckets that went to Missori recently ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts