Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Broke mo fo
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have some opinions on these things? My cheap ass brother wants to look into one for the river house now. I need the pros and cons of them since hes an idiot and doesn't know how to look into it himself. I don't like that I'm stuck with their design but if there is a nice setup out there than I may be actually consider it. Only if its a lot cheaper though.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Anyone have some opinions on these things? My cheap ass brother wants to look into one for the river house now. I need the pros and cons of them since hes an idiot and doesn't know how to look into it himself. I don't like that I'm stuck with their design but if there is a nice setup out there than I may be actually consider it. Only if its a lot cheaper though.

We had no problems what so ever with our glass pool at our old house for 6 years. They do tend to fade every 5-8 years or so in with the Vegas Sun/heat but no big deal to drain them and have them redone and polished/sealed again...looking brand new for under $600.00 or better yet pay the money and get a year round cover...problem solved.

I hear both sides all the time, some love it some hate it...research the heck out of it before you do it....

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Love ours, had it for about 3 years. No problems at all. Did salt water also. Hardly any chemicals to add. We did ours white and no tile, to avoid any fade or "scale" on the tiles from the salt. And they are cheaper and "quicker" to do than a stucco pool. Not as many options as a custom gunite pool, but just as nice. The company we used is out of business, but the brand of ours is San Juan Pools.
Property Swimming pool Building House Home

Property Swimming pool Water House Residential area

Property Building House Swimming pool Real estate

·
Broke mo fo
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love ours, had it for about 3 years. No problems at all. Did salt water also. Hardly any chemicals to add. We did ours white and no tile, to avoid any fade or "scale" on the tiles from the salt. And they are cheaper and "quicker" to do than a stucco pool. Not as many options as a custom gunite pool, but just as nice. The company we used is out of business, but the brand of ours is San Juan Pools.
View attachment 47651

View attachment 47652

View attachment 47653
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost? You can PM it to me if you'd like. Just trying to get an idea. The quote we got for a gunite pool was $30k and about $6k to add the jacuzzi. But it included a pretty good sized pool with a small wall along the back with fountains pouring into the pool.

·
Senior Expert
249 Posts
We have one. Like the previous post you don't have as many options as a plaster pool, no pebble tech option and from my experience tile does not stick to the fibre glass very well. My only complaint is the tile. It was a disaster. My contractor may have been a bum though and just not did it right so check around if are getting tile. The salt is not hard on the tile BTW.

·
The King
1,078 Posts
I had one in my old home for over ten years without any real complaints. When alge grew on the walls, just brush it down and vacuum it up. Very easy to maintain.

The only issue was that there was no coping around the edge/top and whenever somebody jumped into the pool, it would splash out.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that cost? You can PM it to me if you'd like. Just trying to get an idea. The quote we got for a gunite pool was $30k and about $6k to add the jacuzzi. But it included a pretty good sized pool with a small wall along the back with fountains pouring into the pool.
This was 3 years ago, cost was 30k. it is about 15 x 25. 11,500 gallons. I would think costs would be much cheaper these days.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There is a lot of markup on the fiberglass pools, I had talk to the guy over by advantage a couple of years ago about one a little bigger than the one pictured above with a Jacuzzi, he was going to give it to me for about 6500 drive it way no install.

·
Got Beer?
423 Posts
We love the smooth sides and bottom as they do not destroy your suits or feet.
I agree with not destroying the feet or suits... BUT... we found it almost impossible to play volleyball, or any other active "games" in the pool, because you can not get any traction... I know you don't exactly run in pools, but it was a pain ....

I would strongly encrouage all decision makers to go get in one and see for yourself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree with not destroying the feet or suits... BUT... we found it almost impossible to play volleyball, or any other active "games" in the pool, because you can not get any traction... I know you don't exactly run in pools, but it was a pain ....

I would strongly encrouage all decision makers to go get in one and see for yourself.

Very true, not much traction except for near the steps on ours.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There's a place just out side of Eloy (arm pit) that builds them. I went by it once and the had a shiat load of pools sitting on the ground. I think it was close to the 10 heading towards Tucson. A pool by any other name is still a Pain in The Ass.
I was just down that way a few weeks ago, and saw the place you're talking about.
TONS of them out there.
Yes, you could see the place to the East on 10.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
We were thinking about doing one at our Havasu house 3 years ago & I did alot of reserch on them. They are easy to maintain the Ph levels because there is no plaster or shotcrete, and its even better if you do salt water.The draw back is thier designs, I could not find one that I realy liked. I got a quote for about 30k & it only takes them 2 weeks start to finish.I held off & Im glad I did ,but I might do one this winter. As far as I could find the only drawback is the looks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.