Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running a Taylor lp with a jc pump, and it seems the fix for porpoise when they boat was new was two plates screwed to the bottom back of the boat. I am planning on removing the plates and adding a rideplate and was wondering what would be the best thing to use to fill the 6 screw holes.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
The "best" thing to do is grind em out, re-glass the holes, and recoat the bottom! that is what I personally think is the "best" option.
Ive seen others countersink the holes and set SS hdwr in the holes with a seagoing putty, that would be another route to go considering the fact that you might be re-drilling the bottom if the plates in fact do help the hulls performance! something to think about!

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you know anybody in the autobody industry, there is a product called panelbond. Made by several companies, 3m, norton. Bonds very well to sanded fiberglass or anything else.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The "best" thing to do is grind em out, re-glass the holes, and recoat the bottom! that is what I personally think is the "best" option.!
I recall someone taking that route with actuall holes but added dowels to the holes when he reglassed. Came out fantastic looking but i think he worked pretty hard and was repainting the entire boat when he did it.

if the plates in fact do help the hulls performance! something to think about!
I was gonna ask if the plates were removed would the porpoise come back. and if so would the ride plate act the same as the plates.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Like Todd said "grind it out" he's the xpert! We've been useing a mixture of Cavisil (colloidal silica) and laminating resin or a Body shop supply "kitty hair" filler ..

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I dont think Dowels are the solution unless the hole is deep enough to need the wood replaced, when he was referring to cav plates...generally there is no wood where the holes would be!
If you are filling hoes in the stringer or the deck of the boat, basically somewhere that there is core added to the lay-up, you would need to add a filler, dowel, plug or even Cabosyl, Fiberglass grindings added to resin works well too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Speaking of filling holes, I have a couple of scratches and screw holes I want to fill. Is bondo Glass any good for the small stuff?

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Im running a Taylor lp with a jc pump, and it seems the fix for porpoise when they boat was new was two plates screwed to the bottom back of the boat. I am planning on removing the plates and adding a rideplate and was wondering what would be the best thing to use to fill the 6 screw holes.
Sand from both sides, to make a "bevel" of sorts, at least half an inch away from the holes. A die-grinder with a sanding disk makes this a very quick job. Don't sand it too smooth, leave "texture" for repair to grab onto.

Now dice up some glass mesh into a little pile, mix up a bit of resin, with hardener, now mix with the pile of glass choppings, to make a paste, and put on from both sides, don't make it too dry.
Leave slightly rounded on both sides of hull.

When cured completely, sand outside of hull smooth to contour., leave inside or sand if you wish.

This is same thing done on aircraft fibregalss parts @ 600mph...............

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was gonna ask if the plates were removed would the porpoise come back. and if so would the ride plate act the same as the plates.
I have talked to a few that have the same boat and they seem to think the rideplate is the ticket. The print from Taylor boats shows the plates in a completely different location than they are on my boat, my plates are just a little off the side of the transom adapter on the bottom. I will try to get pics, boat is in our shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts